Persian: ابلق، بزمی‌ست

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by liliwangwang, May 8, 2014.

1. liliwangwang Senior Member

BEIJING
    Chinese
    این کهنه رباط را که عالم نام است
    و آرامگه
    ابلق صبح و شام است
    بزمی‌ست که وامانده صد جمشید است
    قصریست که تکیه‌گاه صد بهرام است

Hi, I am quite confused with ابلق in the second line and بزمی‌ست in the third line.
    According to dictionary, ابلق means piebald? so "it is a restingplace for piebald day and night"?
    as for بزمی‌ست, I cannot tell the main word is "بز" (goat)or "بزم" (
    banquet) or "بزمی‌".

Thank you very much for attention and help!!

2. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    This is another version of it.

این کهنه رباط را که عالم نام است
    آرامگه ابلق صبح و شام است
    بزمی است که وامانده صد جمشید است
    گوریست که خوابگاه صد بهرام است

This timeworn shackle that is named the world
    Is a safe house for day and night, yea the piebald
    A feast that has left behind many a Jam’s (banquet)
    A grave that is for many a Bahram a sleeping-abode

ablaq = piebald = two coloured (black and white..i,e night and day)

bazm = party/feast/banquet

3. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    "piebald" is the reference to "day and night" or a sequence of "days and nights" meaning "flowing time" to the best of my information. liliwangwang, you could have figured out the word "bazm" by looking at the following verse: بزمی ست۔۔۔۔۔قصریست bazm-ii 'st kih , qasr-ii 'st kih.

4. Qureshpor Senior Member

Yes, marrish SaaHib, Omar Khayyam (3umar xayyaam) is indeed talking about the passage of time in this rubaa3ii. I might rephrase it something like this.

This ancient place where we live and which is given the name "the world" is the piebald place of rest for the day and the night (passage of time in general or perhaps vicissitudes of time, both good and bad). Within it are joys and pleasures for which the banquets of a hundred Jamsheds are no match. And at the same time, the dormitories of countless (gor-[wild-ass]-hunting) Bahrams have become (gor) graves.

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  5. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    Good poems don't tend to be liable to one interpretation only but what you wrote is my understanding of it. I don't know about the right version, I wiil be obliged to open my book of Khayyam's verses, but yours (gor) is not different than (qasr) of Bahram. Thank you.

6. liliwangwang Senior Member

BEIJING
    Chinese
    Sorry for my late reply to thank you all!
    and thanks a lot for going to all the troubles!
    Helps a lot!
    I am a new learner of persian with a book of Omar Khayyam's poems.
    I have the English version of it, but still want to understand it very literal, to know every word of it.
    This forum helps me a lot!:thumbsup:

7. liliwangwang Senior Member

BEIJING
    Chinese
    Sorry to bother you again.
    Does the last two lines mean:
    the feast there where a hundred jamshids have been tired of
    the palace is the grave of a hundred bahrams

Last edited: May 10, 2014
  8. Qureshpor Senior Member

^ The Earth which was a xvaab-gaah (a place for sleeping, a bed-chamber) for the likes of Bahram who had no doubt very comfortable bed-chambers in his palaces is the same Earth which not only now has a xvaab-gaah (a sleeping place/a grave) for Bahram but hundreds more like him. The implication is that whether you are Mr. Nobody or Bahram or Jamshed, the Earth (the grave) is your final destiny.

What you have to understand is that the poetry (in this case Classical Persian) has within its its own religious and cultural traditions which one needs to understand. Also, there is no one interpretation of poetry, be that of Hafiz, Maulana Rumi, Khayyam or indeed any of the hundreds of other poets. We are just doing our best within our (very) limited knowledge.

Last edited: May 10, 2014
  9. liliwangwang Senior Member

BEIJING
    Chinese
    Thank you very much!:thumbsup::)