1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Persian: استغفر سه نقطه

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by seitt, Mar 8, 2013.

1. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Hi

Courtesy of Morteza:
    I'm thinking you should be استغفر سه نقطه god or a fortune teller.

Please could you explain استغفر سه نقطه?

Best

Simon

2. Aryamp

Aryamp Persimod

Tehran
    Persian
    سه نقطه = three dots =...
    ... استغفر

In islamic beliefs a person must not touch the name of Allah on paper directly with his fingers unless he has performed 'wudu' , so in the religious circles it's customary to write 3 dots instead of الله so as to avoid the possibility of touching God´s name.

استغفرالله is an expression used to ask for God´s forgiveness and mercy specially when someone says something that might sound blasphemous.

3. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Thank you so much, a most useful lesson.

Btw, how do you pronounce استغفر?

4. searcher123

searcher123 Senior Member

My home ;-) /The Persian Gulf
    Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    Who? Me? I cannot remember which where I said استغفر سه نقطه (o_O). :confused:
    استغفر...ا or استغفرا...ا is the same as استغفرالله (Astaghferollaah). According with Islamic believing, God name is honorable and touching it without Vozoo or any type of offending (بي‌احترامي) to it (such as putting it under the feet or in bad places) is a sin. الله in استغفرالله is God's name, so in writings, some people have replaced it with a ... (three dot) or ...ا (albeit the second is wrong and the people that are doing so, don't know this الف is the same as a full الله). In this situation if the paper is under feet accidentally, there is not any offending to the God's name.

Edited: oops! an answer in the same time as Aryamp. Sorry!

5. Aryamp

Aryamp Persimod

Tehran
    Persian
    I think the correct arabic pronunciation should be :
    اَستَغفِرُ
    astaqfero

however since it's an arabic word only used in this idiomatic expression and not anywhere else as far as I can remember, there are other variations as well like :
    astaqforo
    estaqfero
    estaqforo

6. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Many thanks for the excellent answers, all is clear now.
    Sorry if I took your name in vain - I have just done a search for this but couldn't locate the original place.

7. Alfaaz Senior Member

English
  8. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    To Alfaaz:
    Many thanks!

To searcher123:
    Sorry, dear Morteza, it was actually our friend and helper Darush who said it.

9. searcher123

searcher123 Senior Member

My home ;-) /The Persian Gulf
    Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    Oh dear no problem at all. I just went in doubt about my memory. When I didn't remembered my saying, I told myself: "Oh my God! I'm taking old!" :D

10. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Oh well, never mind - we're both from ancient cultures and we're used to the idea of oldness:D.