Persian: اینا

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by seitt, Jan 14, 2011.

1. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Greetings,

Please, what does اینا mean here?
    مامان، من یه توک پا برم خونه‌ی جواد اینا، زود بر می‌گردم

All the best, and many thanks,

Simon

2. searcher123

searcher123 Senior Member

My home ;-) /The Persian Gulf
    Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    When we use اينا with a human name or appellation that means 'he and his/her family (mother, father, brother, sister, wife and/or children)/friends that normally are with each other and listener know who are them'.

Some examples:
    من مي‌رم خونه عمه اينا (If we say من مي‌رم خونه عمه, however, the sentence is not wrong and is common too, but maybe someone think the house is owned by my aunt. But when we say من مي‌رم خونه عمه اينا that means it is not important the house is owned by which person, the important is that they are living with each other at it).
    ------------------------------------------------
    من با حسن اينا مي‌رم پارك (i.e I with Hasan and his family that listener know normally who are them)
    من با خاله اينا بودم
    من با محمود اينا ديگه اصلا حرف نمي‌زنم

3. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Many thanks! Can I use it with "my"? I.e. من مي‌رم خونه عمه‌ام اينا.

What about with a plural? I.e. من مي‌رم خونه عمه‌ها. – or even من مي‌رم خونه عمه‌ام‌ها.?

The last two may seem strange, but this is how the Turks express the same idea.

4. searcher123

Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    It is not so common, because surely عمه is mine, so no need to I express about it with ام! Albeit is not wrong too.

As you told, these phrases are strange for Persians. We don't use them at all.

5. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Many thanks, just checking - it is hard to underestimate the massive influence that Persian has had on Turkish. A number of expressions I had thought quintessentially Turkish have turned out to be Persian!

6. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Suppose that you and your wife live in Rāmsar, and that both your families live there too. Your wife frequently visits her mother but also frequently visits her mother-in-law too.

When she tells you that she's going to visit one or the other, what will be the most natural thing for her to say?

For her own mother perhaps still “من می‌رم خونه‌ی مادر اینها”? Or will she say, “من می‌رم خونه‌ی مادرم اینها”?

And for your mother presumably “من می‌رم خونه‌ی مادرت اینها”?

7. searcher123

Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    At this situation, for her mother she will say, for example, "من می‌رم خونه‌ی مادرم اینها".
    And for her mother-in-low, من مي‌رم خونه‌ي مادرت اينها or من مي‌رم خونه‌ي مادر اينها are common. As you can see, when there is not specified that which one the mother is for, the mother is of listener's mother.

8. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Many thanks, interesting nuance.