Persian: با آن چشمان عمیق قهوه‌ای‌اش به من خیره شد.

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by seitt, Jan 26, 2012.

1. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Greetings,

Here is a sentence:
    با آن چشمان عمیق قهوه‌ای‌اش به من خیره شد.

Please, is the spelling and the grammar correct?

Also, should there be a kasre before قهوه‌ای‌اش? If so, the translation would be ‘deep, brown (i.e. deep and brown)’, wouldn't it? But if there is no kasre, the translation will perhaps be ‘deep brown’?

Best wishes, and many thanks,

Simon

2. searcher123

searcher123 Senior Member

My home ;-) /The Persian Gulf
    Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    Yes, it is.

با آن چشمان عمیق قهوه‌ای‌اش به من خیره شد

Yes, it is.

3. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Thank you so much, excellent. Presumably the عمیق in the expression چشمان عمیق قهوه‌ای‌اش refers to a spiritual/emotional depth reflected in the eyes in question.

For the sake of contrast, how would you translate ‘deep brown’? The term ‘deep brown’ has a meaning very close to ‘dark brown’, i.e. the opposite of ‘light brown’. But ‘deep brown’ is not exactly the same as ‘dark brown’ as ‘deep brown’ refers to an extremely rich brown, if you like a total brown - when you look at something deep brown you will never mistake it for another colour like green or grey or whatever.

Here's a child with deep brown eyes: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4007/4267275790_8ac050b66c.jpg

4. Jervoltage Senior Member

Persian
    Hi :)

Yes, .../amiq-e/... .

Yes.

No, without a kasre before قهوه ای, the sentence wouldn't make sense.

Yes, exactly.

'dark' translates as سیر or پررنگ, e.g. dark brown = قهوه ای سیر or قهوه ای پررنگ

I'd use بکر /bekr/ for 'deep' when modifying a colour, e.g. deep brown = قهوه ای بکر

5. searcher123

Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    However the meaning of عميق is fairly equivocal to me in your example, but I'm agree with your translation too, because for a sunken eye we will use گود افتاده, not عميق.

deep brown = قهوه‌اي سوخته
    dark brown = قهوه‌اي تيره/سير

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  6. Jervoltage Senior Member

Persian
    سوخته isn't a good choice; it means 'burnt', e.g. burnt brown = قهوه ای سوخته

Furthermore, you can't translate deep in 'deep blue (or pretty much any other colour)' as سوخته with the same effect!

7. searcher123

Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    I have not any idea about its goodness or badness, I just just suggest the far commoner meaning of deep brown :)

You are right, but that is because many colors have their own specific equivalents when they are combined with deep. For example:

deep black: مشكي پر كلاغي
    deep blue: سورمه‌اي سير
    deep brown: قهوه‌اي سوخته
    deep red: زرشكي
    and so on

8. Jervoltage Senior Member

Persian
    Actually, you might have misunderstood the difference between these two. You're translating 'dark' in the items above not 'deep'.

Moreover, you've just contradicted yourself using سیر for both 'dark brown' and 'deep blue'. :(

9. searcher123

Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    As seitt defined it nicely, "deep brown refers to an extremely rich brown". Do you know a brown darker than قهوه‌اي سوخته? I would like to know its name :rolleyes:

Dark blue = آبي تيره = سورمه‌اي Deep blue = آبي تيره‌ي تيره = سورمه‌اي سير
    Dark brown = قهوه‌اي تيره Deep blue = قهوه‌اي تيره‌ي تيره = قهوه‌اي سوخته

Can you show me my contradiction, please?

Albeit there is not a big different between "deep" and "dark" in word and many English-to-Persian dictionaries are defined both of them as تيره and تند.

10. Jervoltage Senior Member

Persian
    -

I have nothing to add to my earlier statement.

11. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Thank you so muchfor your excellent help with this difficult subject for translation.

12. darush Senior Member

To Simon
    Deep brown = قهوه ایِ پررنگ , so چشمان عمیق قهوه ای abviously a wrong translation.:mad:
    Another common colour mistranslation is solid to جامد :mad:

solid black: سیاهِ یکدست

Is 'light' equal to 'pale' in describing clours?

13. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Many thanks, most helpful.

Good question. It's very close indeed, but perhaps "pale" emphasises that it is very near to being white.

14. darush Senior Member

Thank you for the clarification.