Persian: بعدا بزرگترها از هردری سخن می‌گفتند.

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by seitt, Jan 17, 2013.

1. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Greetings,

This is from the autobiography of the man from Taft (in Yazd) whom I have mentioned before.

Please, what does هردری mean here? Is it pronounced 'har dari'?
    بعدا بزرگترها از هردری سخن می‌گفتند.
    I don't think it can mean ‘every door’, but I can't understand what else it could mean. The writer is describing what would happen after the family had finished their meal, hence the word بعدا.

Best wishes, and many thanks,

Simon

2. darush Senior Member

Yes.
    هردری : it is any door or every door, word by word
    از هر دری سخن/سخنی گفتن : the idiom means talking about different/many/several issues.

3. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Thank you so much - is it always with از in this meaning, or is هر دری without از also used?

Please could you give some examples in sentences if possible?

4. SamiraFrancophile

SamiraFrancophile Senior Member

Tehran
    persian
    hi seitt

in this special collocation "از هر دری سخن گفتن" , we always have "از".

1- there is another proverb in Persian "به در می گویند که دیوار بشنود" literally means "they told to the door hoping that the wall heard it" and metaphorically to say some thing to some one indirectly; you see that there is no "از" here.

2- "به هر دری زد، نتوانست کار پیدا کند" = he tried a lot but couldn't find a job.
    here "به هر دری زد" is also an idiom means "tried a lot" or "خیلی تلاش کرد"

3- a poem from Sa'adi the poet:
    تو از هر در که باز آیی به این خوبی و زیبایی......دری باشی که از رحمت به سوی خلق بگشایی

here در means "door" exactly and accepted the preposition "از"

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  5. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Thank you so much, truly most helpful. I think this must be the closest Turkish equivalent of "به در می گویند که دیوار بشنود":
    127 Kızım sana söylüyorum; gelinim sen anla. transl: This I am telling you, my dear Daughter, so that you, my dear Daughter-In-Law, might take heed. [When do we use this? Obviously, not in particular reference to one's daughter-in-law, and never to her face, anyway. It is a statement referring to any situation when one has to be politic and appear to be addressing himself to other people also present rather than the intended person.]
    http://www.ingilizce-ders.com/turkish-proverbs/proverbs/turkish-proverbs-09.htm
    !تازه، اصلا و ابدا فرانوش نکنیم که دیوار موش داره، موش گوش داره​

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  6. SamiraFrancophile

Tehran
    persian
    "!دیوار موش داره، موش هم گوش داره" is a little bit different seitt.

we use this when you want to tell someone something secret ,so you say this proverb and it means "be carfull, this is a secret, may be someboy is near here and probably is listening to us".

by the way, your persain is very good seitt.
    good luck

7. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Actually I was jokingly pre-empting a wisecrack to the effect that walls can't hear. Still, it's important to get feedback from a native speaker as humour is so intimately linked with culture, and it's always possible to find that what one says is incomprehensible for cultural reasons. Many thanks, God bless you.

8. darush Senior Member

9. SamiraFrancophile

Tehran
    persian
  10. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    darush, I echo SamiraFrancophile's thanks. I am about to add the Welsh equivalent:).

11. darush Senior Member

You are both welcomed.
    I read it, too nice equivalent.:)