1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Persian: به نان شب خود محتاج بودن

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by seitt, Nov 22, 2011.

1. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Greetings,

Courtesy of Morteza:
    به نان شب خود محتاج بودن

What exactly is نان شب here? Why ‘night bread’?

Best wishes, and many thanks,

Simon

2. searcher123

searcher123 Senior Member

My home ;-) /The Persian Gulf
    Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    Many of our expressions have a basis in religion or Iranian medicine. This is one of them again. According with Quran, God is told that people in heaven are feed just at morning and night. The best are in heaven, so the best time for eating is breakfast and dinner.

At this world, in Ramadan that we believe is a feast of God, we should eat just at morning and night. That means again the best time for eating is breakfast and dinner.

According with Iranian medicine, launch is not a good food and if it is called نهار (i.e. نه+آهار = شكمت را اشباع نكن) in Persian, it is because we never forget this note, however, unfortunately many of us have forgotten it (albeit I'm not one of them. I'm eating just breakfast & dinner :))

Also نان is very important and reverent for Iranians and we are called it as قوت لايموت. If we see some bread on the way, we will put it out of the way to no body tread it unbeknown.

I think you can understand the meaning of به نان شب خود محتاج بودن easily now ;). When you have ate breakfast, you have not ate launch and now at night, روده كوچيكتون داره روده بزرگتون را مي‌خوره, but you have not even a small piece of bread (the much important and cheapest food for Iranians) to eat it, what is the meaning of that?

3. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Wow! Thank you so much, a true pleasure to learn.

4. Daffodil100

Daffodil100 Senior Member

Chinese
    Thank you very much for sharing it. Interesting.

But in another thread, you explained آهار is starch for industrial purpose. It is not related to food. Could you please explain it?

Could you please quote the Quran teaching about it?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  5. Treaty Senior Member

Australia
    Persian
    نان شب is a metaphor for a minimum survival amount of food (that is why نان is called قوت لایموت: "food [for] not to die") although for poor people or Dervishes it is literally their survival food. If someone is in need (محتاج) for this minimum amount, they are extremely poor (as the idiom به نان شب محتاج بودن means).

The translation of that Quranic verse, Maryam(19):62, is not exactly like that. It says:
    "...in Paradise... for them, their food [supply] is there in the morning and in the evening".
    ولهم رزقهم فیها بکرةً و عشیاً

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  6. Daffodil100

Chinese
    Thank you very much, Treaty.

7. searcher123

Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    As I explained previously, آهار is a glutinous slab liquid. When you eat, your blood will be concentrated just as a glutinous slab liquid. When you say نه آهار you mean "don't make your blood a glutinous slab liquid". آهار at this sentence is used in the meaning of اشباع و غليظ كردن (= to concentrate and collect in one place). In other words, نه آهار mean don't eat anything, not food, not any other thing that concentrate your blood.

8. Daffodil100

Chinese
    Thank you for your reply. I see.

9. emanmoba Junior Member

Persian
    نان شب is a Metaphor representing basic needs and the whole expression describes someone who is unable to meet his/her basic needs.

10. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Many thanks to all - how nice to be reminded of this thread. Re روده كوچيكتون داره روده بزرگتون را مي‌خوره above, how would you translate/explain this in English, exactly? Does it simply mean that your evening lack of food adds itself onto your midday lack of food, so you miss two meals, or is there more to it?

11. searcher123

Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    I'm really glad to read you again my dear friend. Please take a look here.

12. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    I'm also most glad to read you again dear Morteza - thank you, that cleared it up perfectly.