1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Persian: تغییر هوای شب به روز

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by seitt, Sep 27, 2013.

1. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Greetings

Also, in the biography of the man from Yazd, he writes of his journey from Taft to Yazd with his father as a small boy, “روی ریگها نشستیم و پدرم سفره کوچکی را که با خود آورده بود پهن کرد و نمی‌دانم بجز نان چه جوراکی دیگری در سفره بود، ولی استراحت پس از خستگی زیاد و صرف غذا و تغییر هوای شب به روز و همراه پدر بودن خاطره را در وجودم زنده نگاه داشته است.”.

Re تغییر هوای شب به روز, does this really refer to a change of air? It's just that night air and day air are pretty much the same, aren't they? Or does هوا mean something different here?

Best wishes, and many thanks,

Simon

2. Aryamp

Aryamp Persimod

Tehran
    Persian
    هوا here refers to the "weather" in particular the change in the temperature since in the desert there's a huge temperature difference between day and night.

3. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Many thanks, truly a most excellent point.

Since تغییر هوای شب به روز would seem to be short for تغییر هوای شب به هوای روز, it's interesting that the second هوای has been missed out completely – would it perhaps have been more correct, if not to include it in full, at least to represent it with the word مالِ (māl-e)? I.e. تغییر هوای شب به مالِ روز.

Or doesn't مالِ work here for some reason?

4. sb70012

sb70012 Senior Member

Azerbaijani
    Hello Seitt,
    There is a typo in your Persian statement. It should have been خوراکی not جوراکی :)
    تغییر هوای شب به روز = shift from night weather (temperature) to day (weather temperature)

It means: when he was lying or sitting in the desert, the weather of the night was so refreshing that as if it was day weather. (but in fact in was night weather)

For example, anyone even ,you, can feel it when you are out at park with your friends at about
    11:00 PM. then a cool breeze comes towards you and refreshes you so that you say the Persian sentence.

No don't use the word مال (male). It doesn't fit well there.
    We usually use مال (male) when we talk about something alive or visible.

مال (male) = of

This is the book of Alex. = این کتاب مال الکس است
    This is the door of the car. = این در مال ماشین است

But weather is not something visible.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  5. FaMa77

FaMa77 New Member

Iran - Mznd
    Persian - mazandarani:D
    Here it means the changing of places and climates not the weather WHICH MEANS rainy or sunny or something like that.
    Here it means the different climates in different cities and places.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  6. Aryamp

Aryamp Persimod

Tehran
    Persian
    Yes indeed the complete phrase would be تغییر هوای شب به هوای روز , such ellipsis is very common in persian : جمعیت تهران از شیراز بیشتر است = The population of Tehran is more than (that of) Shiraz.

هوای مازندران از تهران مرطوب تر است = Mazandaran's climate is more humid than that of Tehran.

As sb70012 explained it's no possible to use 'mâl' in this context however you can say : کیف من از مال دوستم سنگین تر است =my bag is heavier than my friend's (bag)

obviously here it wouldn't work to say : کیف من از دوستم سنگین تر است because that would change the meaning.

Do you mean the weather during the daytime is refreshing in a desert?!! I think the sentence is only referring to the sharp contrast between day and night temperature in a desert, if you've ever been to a desert you know how it's blazingly hot during the daytime but then at night the temperature suddenly drops several degrees and it gets really cold.

7. sb70012

sb70012 Senior Member

Azerbaijani
    Sure I didn't mean that. I meant the day weather but not the one in desert. Maybe a weather felt in a forest, somewhere like that.
    :thumbsup:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  8. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Many thanks, truly excellent.