1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Persian: تيريپ قباش

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by seitt, Dec 20, 2012.

1. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Hi,

Many thanks to Morteza for this truly fascinating bit of Persian:
    اگه جان كار سخت بكنه به تيريپ قباش بر مي‌خوره.

My main problem is to do with تيريپ قباش - it truly is all Greek to me. Could you explain it, please? Please give the pronunciation too.

Best,

Simon

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  2. searcher123

searcher123 Senior Member

My home ;-) /The Persian Gulf
    Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    تيريپ (Tiiriip) is a wrong (but so common) and very colloquial pronunciation of تريج. And تريج is لبه‌ي پایین جامه و قبا. I should say به تيريپ/تيريج/چاك قباي كسي بر خوردن is a phrasal verb and mean: از حرف كسي رنجيدن

3. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Many thanks, excellent.

4. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Bug problems again, I'm afraid, so I'll have to start again: please could you find a good Internet pic of a قبا if at all possible?

By the way, why do I get pictures of mosques and minarets when I search for a Google picture of قبا?
    Is قبا also a kind of minaret or mosque? Is it pronounced the same as the other kind of قبا?

5. aisha93

aisha93 Senior Member

Arabic/Persian(larestani)
    ^

It is the name of the oldest mosque in the world. Quba mosque

6. searcher123

Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    This is a Ghabaa. It is a specific cloth for clergymen.

Yours is "Ghobaa", the name of a mosque. Mine is "Ghabaa", the name a cloth.

7. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Many thanks - indeed I'll have to be careful to distinguish the two.

So, the تيريپ is simply the edge of the garment nearest to the floor when the wearer of the garment is walking or standing up, isn't it?

8. searcher123

Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    You are welcome my dear friend.

Yes, you are right completely. When we say به تيريج/تيريپ/چاك قباش بر مي‌خوره we mean "he is so swelled head that even the bottommost of his/her cloth have a great respect for him and nobody should say any bad thing about it!. otherwise, he will be annoyed.".

9. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Many thanks, all sorted now.

10. bonk2061 New Member

English- American
    Hi do you know the title of an English/Persian, Persian/English dictionary, with 'Finglish words included? I wouldn/t ask you personally, but I'm new here and can't find the Post New Thread button.

11. bonk2061 New Member

English- American
    Hi do you know the title of an English/Persian, Persian/English dictionary, with 'Finglish words included? I wouldn/t ask you personally, but I'm new here and can't find the Post New Thread button.