1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Persian: جام جم در جام

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by seitt, May 9, 2012.

1. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Hi

Please, what does جام جم در جام mean? I know what جام جم is, but how can it be در جام or ‘in a cup’?

Best

Simon

2. searcher123

searcher123 Senior Member

My home ;-) /The Persian Gulf
    Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    Without any more description, I can not give you an exact answer. But I guess that must be a TV program title. Am I right? If yes, I think that should be a program in IRIB TV about IRIB TV itself.

I don't know when you said you know what does جام جم
    mean, which meaning of it you was talking about, so I will explain some more (as I said, this answer is established on this guess that جام جم در جام is a TV's title. So if my guess is wrong, the meaning can be another one).

جام جم or جام جهان نما was a legendary cup that every body was able to see all of the world at it. TV have such a function in reality so another name of IRIB TV is شبكه‌ي جام جم. If you talk about IRIB TV in IRIB TV, now جام جم در جام will have meaning.

3. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Thank you so much, I think I see now.

It is certainly highly likely to be the name of a TV programme, as you suggest.

And, given your excellent explanation, which indeed told me something I didn't know about the cup of Jamshid (i.e. that one could see the whole world in it), I think I can say the following, can’t I?

When, for example, the programme "در مسیر زاینده رود" is being broadcast, we can say "در مسیر زاینده رود در جامه" (although, rather than the whole world being seen in the cup, the whole world is seeing something in the cup). And, when the programme is about the TV station جام جم itself, "جام جم خودش در جامه.".

4. searcher123

searcher123 Senior Member

My home ;-) /The Persian Gulf
    Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    ٌWell, you can say so, but you should be aware that saying so more is in a poetic way, not a common language. In other world, we will not use در مسير زاينده رود در جام است in daily conversations at all. This structure is more suitable for titles.

5. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Many thanks, all clear now.

6. Jervoltage Senior Member

Persian
    جام جم در جام could have also been a misheard جام در جام, meaning "cup winner's cup."

7. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Many thanks, certainly something I didn't know.

8. darush Senior Member

Cup of Jam
    جمشید، جم : The earliest king of Iran
    جامِ جم : an alley beside Iran's central broadcasting complex in Tehran. name of some studioes in the complex. a suggested name for TV

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  9. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Many thanks, most interesting.