Persian: جان كار سخت كنه نافش/بچه‌اش مي‌افته!

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by seitt, Dec 19, 2012.

1. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Hi

Courtesy of Morteza:
    جان كار سخت كنه نافش/بچه‌اش مي‌افته!

I'm not sure that I understand the force of نافش/بچه‌اش مي‌افته – is it the idea of the child fainting at the news that his father has done some hard work? In that case, does نافش مي‌افته have a different meaning of the verb افتادن? Perhaps ‘to fall/drop off’ (of a body part)?

So the basic structure is, "If John does some hard work, such and such a thing will happen," isn't it?

Best wishes, and many thanks,

Simon

2. searcher123

searcher123 Senior Member

My home ;-) /The Persian Gulf
    Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    بچه انداختن = to abortion
    ناف كسي افتادن = His/her navel's knot will be ruptured and his/her innards will get out.

3. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Thank you so much - how interesting that you use "بچه انداختن" of a man! Oh well, I guess that with humour anything goes!

Btw, the dictionaries almost always get this wrong, but when a woman's pregnancy is deliberately terminated, she is said to have an abortion; however, when this happens naturally, she is said to have a miscarriage.

4. searcher123

searcher123 Senior Member

My home ;-) /The Persian Gulf
    Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    Yes, that is sardonic humour. بچه انداختن in this meaning (i.e. as an irony to criticizing a person) is used in other situations too. For example:

بيا يه لقمه از اين غذا بخور بچه‌ات نيفته (i.e. I know you are an overeater, so come and eat before you get any problem)
    اينقدر كار مي‌كني يه وقت بچه‌ات نيفته!ا (i.e. you are so lazy)

Thank you so much for the clarification.

5. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Thank you so much, all sorted now - and you are always most welcome.