1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Persian: جمعتون جمعه!

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by seitt, Sep 26, 2013.

1. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Greetings

This struck me as very nice, elegant Persian: in “رنگ خدا”, the teacher, seeing that all the blind children were present, said, “جمعتون جمعه!”.

Does this mean, “All of you are present”, please?

Best wishes, and many thanks,

Simon

2. Bonjour,

Un peu oui !

Exemple :

! آه , می بینم که جمعتون جمعه و دارید حسابی حال می کنید
    C'est-à-dire :
    Ah, je vois que vous êtes tous réunis / présents (vous êtes tous ensemble) et vous vous amusez bien !

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  3. searcher123

searcher123 Senior Member

My home ;-) /The Persian Gulf
    Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    It will be much more accorate if we translate it as the follow:
    All of you friends with the same links are present

4. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    To you both:
    Much obliged!

To Morteza:
    What do you mean by 'links', please? Could you give an example?

5. searcher123

Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    You are welcome my dear friend.

I mean "چيزهايي كه باعث پيوند و شباهت افراد به هم مي‌شوند". In other words, the people that have common interests. For example پيرمردها can understand each other much more better than when they are with a group of youths. جمعتون جمع است will be used for a group that are enjoying of being with each other, specially after a while unavailability. For example suppose that you and some of your collage period's favorite friends (دوستان صميمي دوران دانشگاه) are forgathered after years. Now if a person see the group maybe say: مي‌بينم جمعتون جمعه or one of you can say حالا كه جمعمون جمعه بياين به ياد اون دوران همگي با هم بريم كوه

6. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Much obliged – actually, in the Majidi film, this was said to the group of blind pupils who had assembled in the dormitory to pack their things and go home – so that would count as a common interest / purpose, wouldn't it? I.e. to go home after the school term had ended.

7. sb70012

sb70012 Senior Member

Azerbaijani
    Hello seitt,
    The term جمعتون جمعه can be said to give both positive and negative feeling. It depends on a situation.
    جمعتون جمعه = good gathering
    جمعتون = your gathering (group)
    جمعه .1 = [Jaameh] total (good & fixed)
    جمعه .2 = [Jomeh] Friday

Negative feeling:

Suppose that police suddenly arrive and see a group of burglars at a bank and tell this sentence bitterly. If the police use the sentence in that situation, it will have a bad and negative meaning. Because it bothers the hearers and they are going to be caught:

"جمعتون جمعه" = "Nice group or total group or good group (you have)" = refers to definition number 2
    (the police say this bitterly because the police have just arrived and want to catch all of them and all burglars are afraid of)

Positive feeling:

Suppose that you go to your uncle's house and see all your cousins and nephews. Then, if you use it in this condition it will have a good and positive meaning.

"سلام بچه ها جمعتون جمعه" = "Hi guys, nice group or total group or good group
    (you have)"
    = refers to definition number 2

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  8. searcher123

Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    No, their common interest is not going home. The teacher want to say "you are warm friends and all of you are here". Surely warm friends will be happy of being with each other, so when they are with each other جمعشون جمعه

If there is a defect between the group and one or some of the important members are missing we will say:
    جمعتون جمعه، فقط فلاني ﴿و فلاني﴾ كمند

For example suppose you, حسن، حسين، محمود and رضا were warm friends during high school period. Now all of them except محمود are with each other again. Now you can say:

جمعمون جمعه، فقط محمود كمه or جمعمون جمعه، حيف كه محمود كمه

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  9. darush Senior Member

No prob! Hasan did the job for him at UN:).

10. searcher123

Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    :) The best sign for showing sagacity and jocundity (=شوخ طبعي) of Iranians :) An excellent punctiliousness (= نكته‌سنجي) , however, my mean was not so :p

11. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Much obliged!
    I think that's lovely.