1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Persian: حسن ظن

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by seitt, Nov 17, 2011.

1. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Greetings,

In a recent thread the word حسن ظن was touched on but I'd like to give it its own thread.

I gather that حسن ظن means ‘trust, have a good opinion (of)’, but could you give some examples in sentences, please?

What is the opposite of حسن ظن? Could it perhaps be سوء ظن? (I've used Mortezā’s system of underlining words with extra kasre.)

Best wishes, and many thanks,

Simon

2. eskandar Moderator

English (US)
    حسنِ ظن and its opposite سوءِ ظن (good guess!), as far as I'm aware, are originally Islamic concepts. (They have their counterparts in the Arabic حسن\سوء الظّن as well as in other Islamicate languages, such as Turkish hüsn-ü zan / sû-i zan).

Example: مؤمنان باید نسبت به همدیگر حسن ظن داشته باشند 'believers should trust/have a favorable opinion of one another'.

Another example (from here, the Persian translation of an Arabic hadith narrated by Imam Ja'far al-Sadiq (as): «حسن ظن به خداوند این است که تنها به خدا امید داشته باشى و جز از گناهت نترسى»

While originally its use is religious, as you have seen from Morteza's original comment it is used in secular contexts as well, like most other parts of the language that have religious roots. (If you're interested you can Google 'husn al-zann' to read more about its use within Islam).

Secular example from Hayyim: من نسبت به او سوء ظن دارم 'I have my suspicion against him, I suspect him'.

If you search for ظن in Hayyim's dictionary you can find more examples of usage. Apparently بد ظن also exists as a synonym for سوء ظن but I'd assume its use is more rare.

3. searcher123

searcher123 Senior Member

My home ;-) /The Persian Gulf
    Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    Eskandar answer is complete and there is not any more for me, just the fact that بد ظن is a coinages that mean "a person that is effected with سوء ظن". If you want an equivalent for سوء ظن in Persian, you should say ظنّ بد or گمان بد (albeit سوء ظن is far commoner).

Other examples:

Suppose that you arrived at your room at a once and you saw your wife is hiding a box in hurry. If شما به همسرتان سوء ظن داشته باشيد or if شما با سوء ظن به ماجرا نگاه كنيد, you will think your wife is concealing a bad thing against herself to you don't be aware about it. If شما به همسرتان حسن ظن داشته باشيد or if شما با حسن ظن به ماجرا نگاه كنيد, you will think the box was a gift for you and your wife hide it to surprise you at dinner.

This will be happened for your wife exactly at the same manner too. For example if همسرتان به شما سوء ظن داشته باشد or if همسرتان با سوء ظن به شما نگاه نكند, she will think you were arrived at the room suddenly to found what was she doing!. But if همسرتان به شما حسن ظن داشته باشد or if همسرتان با حسن ظن به شما نگاه نكند, she will think that if she was not heard your voice that was because she was really busy.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    زنم به من سوء ظن داره. هركاري مي‌كنم، از كارم برداشت بد مي‌كنه
    اى كسانى كه ایمان آورده‏اید! از اكثر سوء ظن‌ها بپرهیزید، چرا كه بعضى از سوء ظن‌ها گناه است ﴿قرآن مجيد﴾
    آخه تو چرا اينقدر به من سوء ظن داري/بد گماني؟ مگه من چيكار كردم؟
    در روایات اسلامي فراوان گفته شده است كه تا وقتي دليلي قطعي بر خلاف آن نيافته‌ايد، به برادر ايماني خود حسن ظن داشته باشيد. و تا جايي كه مي‌توانيد سخني را به خوبي تعبير كنيد، به سخن برادر ايماني خود سوء ظن نداشته باشيد

------------------------------------------
    اين از حسن ظنّ شما است or اين حسن ظنّ شما رو مي‌رسونه (i.e. if you are thinking so good about me, that is because you really are a good person yourself and cannot see my defects)

4. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Thank you so much, wonderful spiritual and linguistic depth.