Persian: خواهش میکنم

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by MrPalabras, Nov 10, 2009.

1. MrPalabras Member

South Korea
    English, Spanish United States, Puerto Rico

I communicated myself with my Persian friend, and she wrote something back to me in Persian. I tried reading it, but I'm at a standstill. I'm sure it's probably a "you're welcome" type response, but I just wish to know it's transliteration and meaning. If you can help me with this, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Below is what she wrote: (somehow, it looks a little different from her original posting, but I guess I'm wrong.)

خواهش میکنم
  2. turkcurious Senior Member

Persia land
    That will be:
    khahesh mikonam.
    خواهش می کنم or خواهش میکنم
    EDIT : You can write it in 2 ways. It means " You are welcome" .
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  3. MrPalabras Member

South Korea
    English, Spanish United States, Puerto Rico
    Thank you so much Turkcurious. I really appreciate your help.
  4. something

something New Member

Pashto, Dari, English (I grew up in Canada with A family that spoke both languages of Afghanistan)

Translitteration is " Khwahesh Meekonam" which means either Im asking a favor, or I might be wrong because it depends on your conversation,
  5. blowe46 Senior Member

I have actually done some research on the phrase. It means "I have wished it" . If you speak French, it is identical to Je vous en prie or Je t'en prie.
  6. Daffodil100

Daffodil100 Senior Member

Could someone please tell me how many words there are in this phrase as below? Three? What does they mean each at its face value? Thank you!

خواهش می کنم

کنم =?

می =?

خواهش =?

7. mannoushka Senior Member

It's actually one single verb (khaahesh kardan, meaning 'to request', or 'to make a request') made up of two parts/words: khaahesh (= request [noun]) and kardan (= to do).

Khaahesh mikonam literally means 'I request'. However, if the sentence stands alone, i.e. if it is not followed by a description of the actual request, then it may, under the right circumstances, mean 'you're welcome' or, as was said above, in French, 'je vous en prie', a very common response to 'thank you'.

Another situation in which someone may use the sentence on its own, i.e. as a single socially meaningful expression, is when the speaker is offered something, e.g. a compliment, a door held open for him/her to pass through first, or, for that matter, offered anything that the offerer may just as well partake of. If a compliment is paid to the speaker, then the speaker may rejoin with a 'khaahesh mikonam' in order to show humility and modesty. Here the sense is a very mild 'please do not compliment me'. If a door is held open for the speaker, by saying 'khaahesh mikonam' he or she is in fact reciprocating the respect shown to him/her by asking the other person to be the first to pass through that same door. As you can see, the sense here is always negative.
  8. Daffodil100

Thank you very much for your help.
  9. Daffodil100

Person (P) A: Thank you very much for helping me out with this question.

P-B: khaahesh mikonam

May I understand it means I am requesting (the honour to do it /something for you)? Thus, it means you are welcome.

P-C: Your Persian is very good.
    P-D: khaahesh mikonam

I cannot figure it out why I am requesting would turn into please don't compliement me.

Does it literally mean I am requesting to you go first? shomaa avval? after you?

Could you or someone else answer this for me?

Thank you!
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
  10. mannoushka Senior Member

In all the instances you mention, Daffodil100, the sense is 'I request or beg you' (or simply 'please') ...

1) ... not to be obligated, not to refuse the favour, or, as you suggest, to accept the favour.
    2) ... not to compliment me, or, since you say this level of formality is incomprehensible to you, not to stand on ceremony with me.
    3) ... not to offer the right of way to me, but to go through the doorway first yourself. Shomaa aval (befarmaayeed).
  11. Daffodil100

Thank you very much. Now I am clear about them.:) Merci!