1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Persian: متلک

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by seitt, Mar 7, 2013.

1. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Hi,

Please, what does “متلک” (matalak) mean exactly, and how do you use it?

Please could you give some examples of usage in sentences?

Best wishes, and many thanks,

Simon

PS It was used something like this (I may have misunderstood some of the details as, of course, everything was in Persian): some Iranian friends are in a kind of club, and there had been a vote about whether or not to serve tea and biscuits etc.

One of those who had voted in favour of serving the tea and biscuits said, “I noticed that those who voted against serving tea and biscuits are quite happy to indulge in (i.e. eat and drink with gusto) the tea and biscuits themselves!”

Another friend said that this remark was a متلک. Do you agree?

2. Aryamp

Aryamp Persimod

Tehran
    Persian
    متلک = sarcastic remark, taunt
    متلک گفتن/ متلک انداختن = to make a sarcastic / snide remark aslo : to talk flirtingly

Related : تیکه انداختن

Examples :

اگر به یه آدم چاق بگی خیلی لاغره و بیشتر باید بخوره بهش متلک گفتی= If you tell a fat person that he's so thin and needs to eat more, you've told him a sarcasm /taunted him

مردم در قالب جوک متلک های زیادی به سیاست های دولت می گن = Through jokes people make a lot of snide remarks on government's policies

بعضی آدم ها دوست دارن همش متلک بگن مثلا بگی کتاب زیاد می خونی فوری بهت به متلک می گن دانشمند =Some people like to quip a lot for example if you tell them you read a lot they call you sarcastically 'a scientist'

پسرها به دخترها در خیابون متلک می ندازن = on the street boys talk flirtingly with girls / hit on girls

3. searcher123

searcher123 Senior Member

My home ;-) /The Persian Gulf
    Farsi/Persian/فارسي
  4. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    To Aryamp:
    Thank you very much - these examples are most useful.

To Morteza:
    Thank you so much for the reminder - dear me, what has happened to this memory of mine:D?

5. searcher123

Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    You are welcome my dear friend. پيش آمده، پيش مياد ديگه. Oh! I will took aging at last too ;) :D :D :D (a question please: my saying is a bad saying or an insult in English culture?)

6. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Better English: "Sooner or later it'll be my turn to get old too."
    No problem at all, it's perfectly okay amongst friends. I wouldn't use it with strangers, though.

7. searcher123

Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    Thank you so much both for clarification and correction.

I will be very pleased if one of our American friends say us about "calling a person old" in American culture too.