1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Persian: مَتَلَک

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by seitt, Mar 10, 2012.

1. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Greetings,

Courtesy of Morteza, a most fruitful sentence :
    يادت باشه‌ها! هروقت عشقت مي‌كشه، هرازگاه يه متلكي هم به ما مي‌پّروني.

Please, what kind of joke is a مَتَلَک? Verbal? Could you give some examples, as words for different kinds of jokes are very difficult to translate exactly.

Best wishes, and many thanks,

Simon

2. searcher123

searcher123 Senior Member

My home ;-) /The Persian Gulf
    Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    متلك more than being a joke, is a sarcastic remark, albeit with a joking appearance.

For example:

suppose that one time your wife accidentally mixed your breakfast coffee with salt instead of sugar. Ever after every time you are at breakfast table, you will say to your boy: "taste the sugar to be sure that is real sugar!". Now your wife can say: حالا ما يه بار يه اشتباهي كرديم! تو هم هي متلك بنداز/بپّرون/بارمون كن!ا

Or, say, one of your friends, Mike, is in his car. "Goodbye Simon!" he say. He is not aware that his car is on reversing gear. He want to drive forward, but the car is going backward accidentally. Another day you are seeing him in his car again. "All of the people! Attach to the wall please, if you like your life! Mike want to drive!" you say to your other friends. Now Mike can say: حالا متلك بنداز/بپّرون/بارم كن! نوبت منم مي‌رسه!ا

3. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Thank you so much.

Does متلك include remarks of the type when you say the opposite to what you mean?

E.g. your wife is getting a bit plump (تُپُل). You see that she is guzzling a large piece of cake, so you say, “Don't starve yourself – you'll end up even thinner than you are already!”

4. searcher123

searcher123 Senior Member

My home ;-) /The Persian Gulf
    Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    I think so. All of the متلك that I can remember now are of this type. Your example is showing a متلك too.

5. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh