1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Persian: میرو

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by seitt, Dec 18, 2012.

1. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Greetings,

In the more antiquated styles of Literary Persian, particularly in poems, we seem to see the prefix می in places we wouldn't expect it in Colloquial Persian.

E.g. این طرح میرو – presumably this means something like, “Follow (the unfolding of) this plan…”, but it's very strange for me to see می in front of an imperative.

Could it be that the function of می (and its older version همی) is to make the imperative (apparently pronounced ‘rav’ and not ‘ro’) continuous? Perhaps it is the opposite of بِ, which makes the imperative a kind of once-and-once-only thing?

So میرو might mean something like “Keep on going” and برو (berav?) presumably something like “Go once” – but am I on the right track?

Best wishes, and many thanks,

Simon

2. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    Exactly

I would rather say that bi-raw is unmarked (with no special modal content).

3. Jervoltage Senior Member

Persian
    It'll certainly help if you could provide us with the original context.

4. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    You can find lots of examples in Lazard: La langue des plus anciens monuments de la prose persane.

5. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Not only this, there are examples in Divan-e-Hafiz. I shall post one or two examples later.

6. Jervoltage Senior Member

Persian
    Indeed examples of this usage of می are abundant. I'm just curious about this very sentence though, "این طرح میرو," and what it might mean, hence the need for the context.

7. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Many thanks - here's some more context as requested: این طرح می‌رو تا لعنت گناه و مرگ را بزداید و رابطه‌ی صمیمی انسان را با خدا باز برقرار سازد.

The narrator is drawing a parallel between the death of the ram in the place of Ebrāhim’s son (still celebrated at عید قربان) and the death of Christ on the Cross in the place of each one of us (you may have heard ‘the lamb who takes away the sins of the world’ used as a description of Jesus Christ) and saying that this is all part of God’s unfolding plan for the salvation and redemption of mankind.

8. searcher123

searcher123 Senior Member

My home ;-) /The Persian Gulf
    Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    In this example surely that is a typo of مي‌رود.

9. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    I think you are right.

This is from a Christian text, not (I suspect) old, but composed in an archaic style. It is a composite of two Pauline statements:

“Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law” (Galatians 3:13)

and:

“Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death” (Romans 8:2).

10. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Ah, yes, thank you - and perhaps the narrator read the typo without realizing that it was one.

11. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    I know the matter has been resolved but here are a few examples of the imperative with the prefix "me" from Classical Persian.

gar-at havaast kih chuuN Jam ba-sirr-i-Ghaib rasii
    biyaa-o hamdam-i-jaam-i-jahaaN-numaa me-baash

Hafiz

tu nekii me-kun va dar Dijlah andaaz
    kih Ezad dar biyaabaan-at dihad baaz

(?)

Here is an example for the second person.

chuuN shumaa bastah-i-hamiiN xvaab-o-xor-iid
    hamcho maa baashiid-o-dar dih me-chariid

Maulavii

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  12. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Many thanks, all clear now.