1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Persian: ناخن نوک تیز بلند

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by aisha93, Nov 18, 2012.

1. aisha93

aisha93 Senior Member

Arabic/Persian(larestani)
    Hi everybody,

While I was searching about the meaning of the word میخچه in Dehkhoda, I came across this definition:

ناخن نوک تیز بلند پشت پای خروس و سگ و غیره

My problem is not with the meaning of it, since it is almost clear, though I'm reading it incorrectly.
    But my problem is that I don't know how to read it.

1- I want to know which words in the sentence should be followed by a Kasre?
    2- And whether the words نوک تیز are actually one word or not? "i.e. with the similar structure as نوک دار"
    If yes, then why don't we write it this way نوک‌تیز? and if not, then, how am I supposed to read it (i.e. with Kasre or without)?

Thanks,

2. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    ^
    1) naaxun-e-nuuk-tiiz-e-buland, pusht-e-paay-e-xuruus-o-sag vaGhaireh (long sharply pointed nail at the back of a cockerel or dog's foot)

2) I think I have answered this above although I could be wrong.

3) If I am right in 1), then "nuuk-tiiz".

3. aisha93

aisha93 Senior Member

Great answer, thank you.

By the way, how can I know whether a word has to be followed by a Kasre (in reading) or not? what is the secret?
    There must be some rules which I am unaware of!

Actually this is the most difficult part in Persian , do you know any links which might provide some help? or any old threads in this forum which have discussed this matter?

I personally follow my common sense when I read and usually know where to use a Kasre, I think I've learned this skill through listening but still can't figure out the secret :confused:

4. searcher123

searcher123 Senior Member

My home ;-) /The Persian Gulf
    Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    At the present we will not use ميخچه at this meaning. The common usage of ميخچه is a disease normally at feet that is occurred because of a tight shoe.

ناخن نوک تیز بلند پشت پای خروس و سگ و غیره

Yes, it is.

Well, there are two reason: 1. there is not a big difference between نوك تيز and نوك‌تيز i2.some people have problem in typing a short space with their keyboards in net. So you will see مي شود instead of مي‌شود too.

5. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    You can see from searcher123's reply that, like you, I am a learner too!

6. aisha93

aisha93 Senior Member

searcher123

خیلی ممنون، توضیحت عالی بود

Thank you for confirming on QURESHPOR's respond and correcting the one little tiny mistake he made.

That's right, but with the نیم‌فاصله is much better (and most correct, isn't it?), especially for learners like me, since it eliminates any vagueness and assures that there is no Kasre between them.

And finally, as I said in Post #3, links or threads about Kasre in Persian are very welcomed :)

7. searcher123

searcher123 Senior Member

My home ;-) /The Persian Gulf
    Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    You are welcome my sister.

Well, to be honest, Kasre is so common and understandable to native Persians that I have not thought about it to now! Even I can not remember any thing about it in our school books. I'm sorry! I can not help you at the present at all. But I will search to it and if I found one, surely I will let you to know.

8. darush Senior Member

Hi aisha,
    1. There is always a kasre between noun and adjective. as you know, in Farsi nou comes first most of the times, so there is a kasre after noun

2. When adjectives are more than one, there is also a kasre after each adjective(except the last one)

3. When two or more words(normally noun-adjective)constitute a single word, there is no kasre between them

4. The preposition 'of'; in connection with, or in the meaning of belonging to

5. Between first and last names; see http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=2511671

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  9. aisha93

aisha93 Senior Member

This is strange, how can't be there a set of rules for this important matter in reading? :confused:
    It's probably due to the easiness of the rules that can be understood effortlessly by listening and speaking (practicing).

10. aisha93

aisha93 Senior Member

Thank you (darush) for this detailed piece of information, I'll try to get a firm grasp of these basic rules.

Just to make sure please, do you mean the preposition از here?

11. darush Senior Member

1, 2 and3: ناخن نوک تیز پشت پای خروس و سگ و غیره/naakhone nok tiize poshte paaye khorus o(va) sag va(o) gheyre/

the example even includes 5(پای خروس: leg of cock)

5:
    a) of; in connection with or in relation to: teacher of Arabic معلم عربی /moalleme arabi/
    b) of; belonging to: Mother of me مادر من /maadare man/

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012