Persian: 13

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by Daffodil100, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Daffodil100

Daffodil100 Senior Member

I am reading an article in Chinese about customs and taboos in Iran.

It is said 13 is considered bad luck in Iran, and Iranians generally say above 12 for 13. Is it true? If yes, what is "above 12" in Persian?

Thank you!
  2. sb70012

sb70012 Senior Member

Hello again dear Daffodil100,

No it's not true. It's a superstition. Only some illiterate and rural people believe in that in IRAN. It's against the religion and belief to say that, although some few people say it but it's not true.

I myself disagree with that. There is no rule in IRAN which says some numbers are good and some are bad.
    We use all numbers.

(There are only few and illiterate people who say that in IRAN) We disagree with it. All numbers are good. But there are some numbers that are high valued like (12) and (14).

You know why? Because we had 12 religious leaders like (prophets) and (14) other religious leaders.
    We sometimes respect and choose these two numbers when we want to use them in a match (competition) or other funny works.
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  3. Daffodil100

Thank you very much. I got it.
  4. Aryamp

Aryamp Persimod

In fact this is not just limited to Iranian culture, in many cultures 13 + a whole bunch of other things are considered bad luck . Practically most people don't care, but some people might take a precaution to omit using 13 in some places (for example maybe when choosing a room number or when drawing lots - however I don't think even the most superstitious people would avoid 13 in math ! )some might just do it for fun.

Now how would we say above 12 ? hmm I assume one way to say it would be : یکی بالای دوازده or بعد از دوازده
    but as you can see it's not a common thing at all and I don't even know what's the conventional way to say it.
  5. Daffodil100

Thank you for your comment.
  6. Treaty Senior Member

In ancient Iranian culture, in particular, 13 was the number of war god Tishtar* who gave his name to the 13th day of each month in Zoroastrian calendar (the first 12 days are named after good gods). Still, Iranians don't remain at home on the 13th day of the first month which is an important holiday. However, as suggested by others the association of bad-luck to 13 is not serious anymore in Iran but used as a humorous or metaphorical sense.

* It is probable that the bad omen of 13 predates this mythology.
  7. Daffodil100

Thank you very much, Treaty. You remind me of another article about Iranian holiday I read yesterday. It mentions about Sizdah-bedar, which literally means get rid of 13, but I failed to associate that article with my thread of 13.