Persian: bedruud

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by marrish, Apr 25, 2013.

1. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    Greetings,

There is a recent Googoosh song which has the words ''be iin zuudii naguu bedruud'' or as written elsewhere (a no-no word here) nagoo bedrood.

Could you please tell me if this word, bedruud is a colloquial word? What does it mean? Are there other forms of it?

Thanks for your assistance.

2. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    ba-iin zuudii na-guu "ba-daruud"

Don't say "goodbye" so soon!!

ba-daruud = ba-salaam...with salaam

So, the person is going and as he/she goes is saying "daruud". That's how I am understanding this.

3. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    Yes, this is the meaning I took. Did you mean to write duruud?

4. darush Senior Member

بدرود=خدا حافظ

Bedruud: pure and poetic Farsi word for 'goodby', usually when leaving some one and no hope to see them again.

5. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    Perfect, I had a liking for this word as soon as I heard it! My question is : isn't there any vowel between d and r?

6. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    The Western Persian (Tehrani) pronunciation is darūd. The classical Persian pronunciation is darōdh “health”. badrōdh is contracted from ba darōdh.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  7. Qureshpor Senior Member

fdb, is the "dh" for a "zaal"?

8. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    Yes, the old spelling is دروذ

9. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    Very enlightening indeed. I don't know why but I've known this word to be duruud/doruud.

You have mentioned the contraction. Are you aware of any other instances where there is an elision of a vowel?

10. darush Senior Member

Sir fdb, I'm from Tehran(don't care my location, it suggests an marine animal!) and we pronounce bedrūd and dorūd( goodby and hello respectively). As far as I know dorūd is do+rūd, do=two and rūd is 'health' or 'happiness'.

11. darush Senior Member

No any vowel, marrish SaaHib.

12. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    It is from Middle Persian drōd, and cognate with Avestan druuatāt- ‘health’. In New Persian it takes an epenthetic vowel in the first syllable, which disappears again after ba. Whether this is –a- or –u- is not a big issue. But it has nothing to do with the number "two".

13. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    Thanks for the confirmation, aaqaa-ye-darush.

14. darush Senior Member

From a Farsi etymology TV program.

15. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    I am really happy to hear that there is an etymology programme on Persian television.

16. Qureshpor Senior Member

Thank you. I appreciate your reply.

17. Treaty Senior Member

Australia
    Persian
    Although I've rarely heard darūd (in fact, by non-Tehranis), its pronunciation has already changed to simpler dorūd as o and ū are close to each other.

What about its PIE root? Is it related to dru- (truth) or kail- (health, via initial k/h to d conversion) or is it directly derived from deru- (tree)?

18. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    Yes, it is probably from the IE “true” word, *druH-, which some scholars do connect with the “tree” word *doru- (Persian dār, by Brugmann’s law).