1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Persian: Captivating, mesmerizing, hypnotic, etc.

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by Khala, May 4, 2013.

1. Khala Junior Member

San Diego, CA
    English - USA
    Hi. I would like to tell a girl that she is "captivating" (regarding her looks) and am having trouble finding such a word. I want it to mean beautiful, but more than beautiful. Something that carries the connotation of the above words, that says that I am stunned/paralyzed by seeing her overpowering beauty. If someone can help me with this I will be very grateful! In general Farsi or Tehrani. Thank you!

2. Aryamp

Aryamp Persimod

Tehran
    Persian
    Hi

If you want just one word that can convey the meaning of "captivating" then I suggest : دلربا : Delrobâ

If you want a phrase that carries the meaning of :being stunned by her beauty: here are a few suggestions ,of course the possibilities are endless :

zibâyit mas-hur konandast . (your beauty is captivating / mesmerizing)

Shifte-ye zibâyie khire konandatam (I'm mesmerized by your dazzling beauty)

zibâyit delam ro borde (your beauty has captivated me)

3. baroon New Member

persian
    these are a little formal,
    If you want to say something informal you can say :gereftaret shodam ,

4. Aryamp

Aryamp Persimod

Tehran
    Persian
    Of course they must be a little formal or perhaps better said, they're romantic and also respectful because the original sentence in English has that quality.

"gereftaret shodam" sounds flirtatious rather than romantic, without any reference to beauty.

5. SamiraFrancophile

SamiraFrancophile Senior Member

Tehran
    persian
    Totally agree with Aryamap, I also suggest "افسونگر" in this case.
    What's your idea, guys?

6. searcher123

searcher123 Senior Member

My home ;-) /The Persian Gulf
    Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    Formal:
    دلربا، محسوركننده، جذاب

Colloquial:
    جيگر طلا، شيكرپاره، هلو

Your beauty is captivating
    جيگر طلايي
    شيكرپاره‌اي
    هلويي

7. Aryamp

Aryamp Persimod

Tehran
    Persian
    I think that will work equally well too in the right sentence.

Caution must be taken when talking about "colloquial and formal" equivalents of a term. I don't consider any of those colloquial expressions to be equivalents of the proposed "formal" terms. To me they're all just slangs related to the concept of attractiveness and affection , though in context of complementing a girl they're all very flirtatious.

On the other hand it's wrong to assume "مسحور کنند" or "جذاب" are just formal words , they are frequently used in informal/colloquial speech as well.

Different words imply different meanings for example saying someone is "beautiful " is different from saying someone is "hot" or "sexy" regardless of the formal/informal nature of the situation.

8. Khala Junior Member

San Diego, CA
    English - USA
    Thank you all very much for the input so far. I also agree with Aryamp in that I was definitely going for more "formal" and respectful than flirtatious. I have a quick question about these words. I'm guessing that when searcher123 wrote "محسور" it was a typo... If so, مسهور means famous right? Is it pronounced the same as مسحور?
    Thanks again everyone.

9. Aryamp

Aryamp Persimod

Tehran
    Persian
    You're welcome, and yes you're right , محسور was definitely a typo, the correct word here is مسحور (mas-hur).

however famous = مشهور (mash-hur) ! سـ = s شـ = sh

حـ and ه are pronounced the same way in Persian.

10. Khala Junior Member

San Diego, CA
    English - USA
    Oh thanks. For some reason I thought famous was also with س.
    For the sentences above that were not Romanized, can someone do so for me or at least mark the vowels somehow?
    Also for shifte-ye how do I write that?
    شيفته يه زيباييت خيره كنندتم؟
    شيفتيه؟ شيفتهي؟
    Thank you again.

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  11. Aryamp

Aryamp Persimod

Tehran
    Persian
    افسونگر = afsungar
    جذاب = jazzâb
    جيگر طلایی = jigar talâyi
    شيكرپاره‌ای = shikar pâre-i
    هلويی = holuyi

Shifte-ye zibâyie khire konandatam =( شیفته‌ی(شیفته‌‌ٔ) زیباییِ خیره کنندتم (کننده اتم

12. searcher123

searcher123 Senior Member

My home ;-) /The Persian Gulf
    Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    Oh sorry. Correct is مسحور كننده