1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Persian: corn on the cob

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by seitt, Nov 2, 2010.

1. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
  2. turkcurious Senior Member

Persia land
    TURKISH-FARSI
    بلال / balaal/

3. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Thank you. What about چوبذرت or ذرتچوب?

4. turkcurious Senior Member

Persia land
    TURKISH-FARSI
    It is not common, the whole I can say.

5. searcher123

searcher123 Senior Member

My home ;-) /The Persian Gulf
    Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    It is unknown for me too.

6. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    many thanks all clear now

7. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    PS Very interestingly, when I found the word in Aryanpour, apart from giving the meaning of corn-on-the-cob, exactly as you kindly told me, it also gives this synonym: درت بوداده.

However, I would have thought that درت بوداده was different: 'roasted sweetcorn/maize'.

8. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    sorry, ذرت بوداده

9. searcher123

Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    Oh yes :) There is not any difference between a raw corn-on-the-cob and a scorched corn-on-the-cob (This is a pic of بلال during scorching and this is a pic of بلال after scorching) in Persian. You can call both as بلال, however, you can call a scorched corn-on-the-cob as ذرت بوداده too.

There is another type of ذرت بوداده that we call it as چس فيل (=pop corn) that is pronounced as 'Chos-e Fil'. What? What part of an elephant?! Don't think so bad. :D

If you ask 100 Persians about philosophy of the name, I think all of them will answered we call it so because it is as a big wind and this wind can not be created except by a elephant. ;)

All of them are wrong!. The main reason is because the first factory that was sold this product in Iran was named as چستر فيلد. I'm sure you know we Iranians have a fantastic capability in cutting words (e.g. كبلايي that is كربلايي or مشدي that is مشهدي or مملي that is محمد علي and so on). So we cut چستر فيلد too.

But چُس فيل have a bad meaning at the present, so many peoples prefer to call it as پُف فيل. Some others call it as پاپ كورن. And not long ago, فرهنگستان زبان و ادبيات فارسي found a new equivalent for it as گل فيل. Which one is your favorite? :)

10. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Many thanks, fascinating.

As for my favourite, I don't like the unnecessary and unimaginative copying of English words, so my least favourite is پاپ كورن.

But my favourite? Probably چُس فيل - it really does reflect inventiveness!

11. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    By the way, Wiki gives گل بلال - what is the correct pronunciation, please?

12. searcher123

Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    Its pronunciation is "Gole Balaal", but I have not heard it as an equivalent for چس فيل to now.

13. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Many thanks - looks like we have another case of that interesting new language, dictionarese!:)