Persian: deception

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by seitt, Feb 16, 2013.

1. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Greetings,

What are the various ways of saying “to practise a deception at the expense of somebody”, please?

In particular, I thought I heard a word like کافکو (kāfku) used to mean “deception" (or perhaps simply "trick”) – do you have such a word?

Best wishes, and many thanks,

Simon

2. searcher123

searcher123 Senior Member

My home ;-) /The Persian Gulf
    Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    Can you give us its exact meaning please?

3. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Thank you - well, it seemed to be used for a piece of trickery if I remember rightly. It sounded like kāfku, but it might have been ghāfku or gāfku or kāfgu etc. Sorry I can't remember better - it was a Persian-language film I saw a part of on TV.

4. searcher123

searcher123 Senior Member

My home ;-) /The Persian Gulf
    Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    I need the exact meaning of "to practise a deception at the expense of somebody", please.

5. Treaty Senior Member

Australia
    Persian
    The only word that I think is کف زنی /kaf zani/. It means that someone deceives you (usually by faking an event or character) and then takes or steals your money.

6. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Is there any reason why "guul zadan" and "fariib daadan" could not be used for this purpose?

7. Treaty Senior Member

Australia
    Persian
    گول زدن (colloquial) and فریب دادن are general terms. They can be used in all situations like love, sport, military and finance. کف زنی is a specific term for a (minor) street crime, and it is always related to small objects. (you can not use it for deceiving people to steal their car).

8. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Sorry about the delay. The way I use it here is as a very general way of saying "to cheat/deceive somebody".

Many thanks for this - I think it's a strong candidate.