Persian: Do Iranians frequently say byebye?

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by Daffodil100, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Daffodil100

Daffodil100 Senior Member

In China, byebye is frequently used as transliteration in colloquial Chinese, except for some senior people, or those who live extremely remoted areas. Even a 4 year old Chinese toddler would say byebye, because it is easier to pronounce than Zaijian, the Chinese equvalent. I use it 50% in the daily life.

I wonder whether or not Iranians do also frequently say byebye instead of khodahafez, and take it as a load word in Persian like Merci.

Thank you!
  2. Treaty Senior Member

It is used but not frequently and not by everyone (considering age and sociocultural background). However, I think the majority of people will understand it. While for many people it may be a sign of intimacy or cuteness, for others it may be like a spoiled or impolite form of goodbye.
  3. Daffodil100

Thank you for your reply. I see.
  4. Aryamp

Aryamp Persimod

In a normal context it's very unusual to use byebye to mean "خداحافظ" when bidding farewell and you'd hardly ever hear people use that expressing instead of خداحافظ as it would sound very silly and strange. However byebye is used in a different context, when talking to children sometimes this expressing "بای بای کردن" is used to mean to wave goodbye, so it's like gives the impression of a childish and not very serious form of bye suitable for talking about children, this weblog is a good example of such usage (a mother talking to her little child) :

من از ماشین پیاده شدم و باهات بای بای کردم

So when not talking to children, it assumes a form of sarcastic or derisive tone as this other example , waving goodbye to enemy forces :

دستت را بیرون ببر و با عراقی ها بای بای کن

Also after the recent presidential elections some people chanted in the streets : احمدی بای بای and again here byebye is used in a mocking or derisive tone.
  5. Daffodil100

Thank you very much for your comment, Aryamp.

I was thinking khodahafez was kinda difficult to memorize before, and wondered whether or not Iranians would simply say byebye.

Both answers of yours really surprised me, because I had asssumed it would be international, and would be without any bad connotation. I shouldn't have taken it for granted.