Persian: Don't beat around the bush.

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by seitt, Jan 9, 2012.

1. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Greetings,

Apparently this means “Don't beat around the bush.”

کج بشین راست بگو.
    kaj beshin raast begu

Or have I misheard?

Best wishes, and many thanks,

Simon

2. arsham Senior Member

Canada
    Persian
    It conveys the meaning, a colloquial way of saying it is
    xodet râ be kûcheye ali-chap nazan!

3. searcher123

searcher123 Senior Member

My home ;-) /The Persian Gulf
    Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    Well, first of all I should admit that I have not heard كج بشين، راست بگو to now at all! Next I should admit that I have some problem with understanding the meaning of "Don't beat around the bush" too. Can you tell me what is the real meaning of it, please?

According with the following definition:

• to spend a long time getting to the main point of what you are saying, especially because it is embarrassing. -source: macmillandictionary
    the meaning of it is صاف/يكراست برو سر اصل مطلب.

But according with the following meaning:

the meaning of it is خود را به كوچه‌ي علي چپ نزنi

But which one is correct?!

4. eskandar

eskandar Moderator

English (US)
    "Don't beat around the bush" can actually give both of those meanings, depending on the situation.

Example 1. Your friend calls you tells you he has some bad news. When you ask him what the news is, he starts telling you a very long and detailed story: "well, it all started yesterday. I was driving on the freeway and started to have some car trouble. Remember how I've always had trouble with this car?..." The story drags on without getting to the point and finally you can't take it any longer and you say "quit beating around the bush!/don't beat around the bush! What happened in the end?"
    We could translate this as !برو سر اصل مطلب دیگه

Example 2. Your doctor tells you to avoid turmeric (زردچوبه). You ask your wife what spices she used in the food she made, and she doesn't want to tell you that she used turmeric, so she gives you a very ambiguous answer: "you know, people cook with all different kinds of spices these days. You can find almost anything in the market! Actually, I was there today and..." You can tell she's trying to avoid answering your question so you say "don't beat around the bush! Is there turmeric in this?"
    We could translate this as !خودتو به کوچهٔ علی چب نزن

Hope that helps!

5. damavand Junior Member

Tehran
    Persian
    I haven't heard either !
    Siett, Maybe it's been :کج نرو ، راست بگو . That's informal and means: Don't go askew/slanted, tell the truth.

6. searcher123

Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    Yes, very helpful and well detailed indeed. Thank you so much.

One more question please:

There is an example on the first source that I mention to: "Stop beating around the bush and tell me the truth." Now how can I understand what is the real meaning? خودتو به كوچه‌ي علي‌چپ نزن، راستشو بهم بگو or برو سر اصل مطلب و راستشو بهم بگو? As you can see, both of them have meaning, but the meanings are different!

7. searcher123

Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    I think Mr. damavand is agreeing with me that کج نرو، راست بگو is not common too. If we want to convert it to a far commoner form we should say اينقدر ويراژ نده/زير آبي نرو/آسمون ريسمون ﴿به هم﴾ نباف/خودتو به كوچه علي‌چپ نزن، راستشو بگو.

8. eskandar

eskandar Moderator

English (US)
    You're very welcome!

This expression is ambiguous and you need the full context to determine exactly what is meant. In the sentence "Stop beating around the bush and tell me the truth", my guess is that the meaning is خودتو به كوچهٔ علی چپ نزن، راستشو بهم بگو . This is because they said "tell me the truth" which seems to indicate that the other person was trying to deceive them (ie. if they didn't say this, the other person might not ever tell them the truth). If they meant برو سر اصل مطلب then it wouldn't be necessary to add "tell me the truth."

Maybe this will make it more clear: when you say "don't beat around the bush," if you think the other person is trying to trick you by changing the subject, you mean خودتو به كوچهٔ علی چپ نزن . But if you think the other person is not trying to deceive you, but instead is just taking a very long time to get to the point because they are embarrassed, afraid, uncomfortable, etc., then you mean برو سر اصل مطلب .

9. searcher123

Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    Thank you again dear eskandar. I love detailed answers. Very excellent and informative indeed.

10. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Many thanks, excellent.

I've made some enquiries. Here are two more expressions with a meaning approximating to "Don't beat around the bush!"

حاشیه نرو!/طفره نرو!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  11. searcher123

Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    حاشیه نرو!/طفره نرو!ا are the same as برو سر اصل مطلب. In the other meaning of "Don't beat around the bush!" (i.e. خودتو به كوچه‌ي علي‌چپ نزن), other synonyms are خودتو به اون راه نزن or براي من فيلم بازي نكن

12. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Thank you so much for the extremely useful observations.

13. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Please could you help me to understand the significance of علي چپ? Was there a famous fraudster by that name, for example?

14. eskandar

eskandar Moderator

English (US)
    I think you are breaking the sentence down wrong - it is khod raa, be kuche-ye Ali, chap nazan (don't dart onto Ali Lane) not *khod raa, be kuche-ye Ali Chap, nazan.

15. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Thank you, most interesting - so چپ here doesn't mean "left" at all, does it? You're saying that there is an idiom, "خود را به جایی چپ زدن" meaning "to dodge into a place", aren't you? Please could I have some more examples of this idiom?