Persian: during the junta's rule

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by seitt, Feb 19, 2013.

1. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Greetings,

Please, how can I translate “during the junta's rule”?

The word ‘junta’ refers to a military dictatorship; another example would be the Pinochet régime in Chile (1973-90), or the Colonels in Greece (1967-74). Frequently, the most terrible human rights violations take place under such governments.

Context:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leopoldo_Galtieri
    During the junta's rule, Congress was suspended, unions, political parties, and provincial governments were banned, and in what became known as the "Dirty War" between 9,000 and 30,000 people deemed left-wing "subversives" disappeared from society.

Best wishes, and many thanks,

Simon

2. searcher123

searcher123 Senior Member

My home ;-) /The Persian Gulf
    Farsi/Persian/فارسي

طي دوراني كه قانون حكومت نظاميان/خونتا برقرار بود، كنگره منحل شد، فعاليت اتحاديه‌ها، احزاب سياسي و دولت‌هاي ايالتي ممنوع گرديد، و بر اساس آنچه به "جنگ كثيف" مشهور شد، بين ٩٠٠٠ تا ٣٠٠٠٠ نفر از مردم به اتّهام توطئه جناح چپ ناپديد شدند

3. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Many thanks, truly excellent.

Re “during the junta's rule”, I've just realized that the most simple way to say this is using the preposition "under": "Under the junta (these things happened)."

Do you also have a one-word equivalent? Perhaps people say "تحت جونتا", for example? Maybe also "زیر جونتا"?

4. searcher123

Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    Yes, تحت is correct and common.

No, it is not correct.

5. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Thank you so much - is تحت used of a government one likes too, or only of a government one dislikes and believes is oppressive?

6. searcher123

Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    No different between them. For example:
    تمام ايالات آمريكا تحت نظر حكومت مركزي اداره مي‌شوند (positive)
    آمريكا و انگليس دوست دارند همه‌ي دنيا تحت نظر حكومت آنها باشند (negative)

7. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Thank you so much - it's important to avoid misunderstandings so let me state it as plainly as possible: if somebody visits Iran, he can say "تحت شاه اینها رویداد", or, for that matter, "تحت آیت الله خمینی اینها رویداد" without anyone jumping to conclusions about who, if anyone, he supports politically - is that right?

By "اینها رویداد" I simply mean, "These things happened."

8. searcher123

Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    First, اينها رويداد is not understandable. The common meaning for رويداد is "event" and also اينها is not common for "these things". The best form is اين چيزها اتفاق افتاد.

As you can see in my examples, تحت is not used before a specific name directly. In other words, تحت شاه is wrong, it must be تحت نظر/فرمان/حكومت/قانون/رژيم/ظلم/... شاه. Also تحت آيت الله خميني is wrong, it must be تحت نظر/فرمان/حكومت/قانون/... آيت الله خميني.

9. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Thank you so much for clearing up my confusion.

Btw, I can see that you wouldn't want to use ظلم of a government you liked, but is رژيم really negative also?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  10. searcher123

Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    Yes, رژيم have a negative meaning too (albeit رژيم in the meaning of a government, not a diet ;)).

11. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Many thanks, it's very important to know this.