Persian: etymology of خمپاره (mortar shell)

Discussion in 'Etymology, History of languages and Linguistics (EHL)' started by chrysalid, May 9, 2013.

1. chrysalid Member

Ankara, Turkey
    Greetings, I have recently looked up the word خمپاره in several dictionaries and noticed that there are other versions of this word like خنبره .خمبره ,قنباره ,غنباره does not have the same meaning but is probably related to the others. Now, خم is a kind of container as far as I understand, something like a barrel, but is it related to خمپاره? Any ideas about the etymology of this word and why there are 4-5 versions?

Thanks in advance.
  2. Phosphorus Senior Member

Selamlar Chrysalid,

I searched its etymology. Apparently it is combined of "خُم" and "پاره". The first part, "khom", is simply a pot which, as the given source suggests, was previously filled by metal pieces, and perhaps gunpowder (?), to use against enemy fortifications. The second part, "pareh", is usually added in order to emphasize pertinence or, maybe, resemblance (e.g. "atashpareh" literally "part of fire"). Here is the link:
  3. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    I know this etymology too, but it seems very problematic to me. First, because “piece of a jug” does not seem a very plausible word for “mortar”. Second: why are there so many different forms in Persian? You know perhaps that this word exists also in Arabic, as qunbula, but also qunbura.
  4. aruniyan Senior Member

is that related with Copra -> Tamil Kopparai(coconut shell shaped) -> Kaappu(Protection) + arai(space)
  5. Treaty Senior Member

Can it be just خنبره xonboreh / xonbareh (small barrel = خمره)? And then it was corrupted to خمپاره (because of the sense of being exploded after hitting the ground) and قنبل in Arabic?
  6. chrysalid Member

Ankara, Turkey
    Thanks for the answers. As we all know, words can have quite unpredictable origins but as you have said, while the relation to jug makes sense, the word pareh just does not seem to fit in. Secondly, I am asking the same question: Why are there so may forms?

Could be. Does this word exist in any other Indo-Aryan language? It could have found its way into Persian via the languages in North India or Arab traders but I suppose we need an expert's opinion on that.

Yes, that is possible, but خنبره could well be another version of the original word.

Let's wait for other views on that.
  7. aruniyan Senior Member

8. chrysalid Member

Ankara, Turkey
    Interesting... If that is the origin of خمپاره, that means we have two words in Turkish related to coconut originating from the Indian subcontinent. One is nargile (water pipe) and the other is kumbara (money box).