1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Persian: fireworks

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by seitt, Mar 15, 2013.

1. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Hi

Am I right in thinking that in Persian you have two basic words for fireworks: ترقه if they make a noise and فشفشه if they make a visual display?

Do you have any other words for fireworks, please?

Best

Simon

2. searcher123

searcher123 Senior Member

My home ;-) /The Persian Gulf
    Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    You are right.

I cannot remember anything at the present, but I think yes, we have.

PS: To now, I was thinking "fireworks" mean آتش‌بازي and "firecracker" mean ترقه. Now I understood I was wrong. Can I ask what is the equivalent of آتش‌بازي please?

3. Aryamp

Aryamp Persimod

Tehran
    Persian
    آتش بازی is the general term for fireworks. Searcher123 you were not wrong in making the distinction. Firecracker is an explosive device whose primary purpose is to make a loud bang and as such it´s the exact equivalent of ترقه

فشفشه is a type of firework and would be translated as "Sparkler"

I can't think of any other name for "Firworks" but different types of fireworks and crackers have different names for example :
    نارنجک = Grenade! Well in Iran in the context of fireworks and crackers it refers to a small hand made grenade that produces a very loud noise.

سیگارت = another type of cracker which looks like a cigarette and hence the name.

موشک = Sky rocket, obviously gets launched into the air and its explosion produces colorful visual effects

کوزه آبشار = Fountain , lets out a large shower of sparks , it's like a very big sparkler

4. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Thank you both so much, truly most valuable info.

Re searcher123's question:
    Yes, آتش بازي can presumably be translated as "fireworks" but isn't it usually "firework display", when you are invited with friends/family to go and watch and enjoy the sight and sound of fireworks of various kinds?

If I have not yet decided whether I want ترقه or فشفشه, can I go into a shop and ask, "آتیشبازی دارین؟"?

Is it correct to call a نارنجک and a سیگارت a ترقه and to call the last two items in Aryamp's excellent answer a فشفشه?

5. Aryamp

Aryamp Persimod

Tehran
    Persian
    فشفشه is only one specific type of Fireworks. It is called a sparkler in english and if you ask for a فشفشه they will exactly give you that and nothing else.

But you´re right in assuming آتش بازی is the fireworks display or event,sorry I should have specified that clearly, if you want to buy fireworks and crackers you can ask for وسایل آتش بازی (In Iran it's somehow difficult to make the distinction between fireworks and firecrackers because they always come together and we don't have legal shops for such devices so it's a street culture you know )

You will also often here people use the word ترقه for any device that makes a sound even if it's main function is to produce light and sparkles. However I would never classify a sparkler as a ترقه because it hardly makes any sound! So yes کوزه and فشفشه at least for me are only وسایل آتش بازی and not ترقه.

6. searcher123

searcher123 Senior Member

My home ;-) /The Persian Gulf
    Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    Thank you two so much.

7. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    You are most welcome, my dear friend.

Oh, btw, am I right in thinking that when the man in the street goes to buy fireworks he will ask for وسایل آتیش بازی rather than وسایل آتش بازی?

I say this because your word for fire is pronounced ātiš in Colloquial Persian.

8. Aryamp

Aryamp Persimod

Tehran
    Persian
    Yes that's right. The colloquial pronunciation is âtish.

9. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Much obliged!