Persian: Good Morning

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by Daffodil100, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Daffodil100

Daffodil100 Senior Member

Chinese
    لی: الو، صبح بخیر خانمِ یانگ!
    یانگ: صبحِ سلام بخیر آقای لی!
    The above Persian text is excerpted from my Farsi learning book.
    I am not sure why someone said صبح بخیر (good morning), and the other responded, , morning, hi, good in Persian.

1. Why not صبحِ بخیر, سلام? but put salaam in the middle?
    2. Is it okay to respond the same صبحِ بخیر

Thank you!

2. searcher123

searcher123 Senior Member

My home ;-) /The Persian Gulf
    Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    That is a sign showing that you should leave the learning book in a trashcan and choice another learning book :D A learning book with such a big typo is not a good learning book at all.

It is a typo. Correct is:

لی: الو، صبح بخیر خانمِ یانگ!
    یانگ: سلام صبحِ بخیر آقای لی!

No problem at all. But starting talking with سلام is so better and courteous.

3. Daffodil100

Chinese
    Thank you very much for your reply.

There are a few Farsi learning books available in China, so I cannot trash it.

And I still have some questions about greetings in Persian.

- Why did the first person say, الو, instead of salaam? Is it okay to just say الو?

- Is it okay to just say "salaam" , but not good morning?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  4. Aryamp

Aryamp Persimod

Tehran
    Persian
    Alo - الو is only used when people are speaking on the phone, it does not work as "salam" it's only an interjeciton which works as a call for response, to see if the other person can hear you.

In Iran "salam" is the very natural and common way to greet people. Maybe in other cultures "good morning" will serve equally well to start the conversation without saying "hello" however in Persian "salam" is the most common way to greet and "good morning/ evening /etc" usually follows afterwards and is not a substitute for "salam" normally.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  5. Aryamp

Aryamp Persimod

Tehran
    Persian
    I also wouldn't suggest that you should trash it, I understand resources for learning Persian are limited and it's really disheartening to put money and effort into buying a book and then it suddenly gets bashed by others. For whatever reason some books are not well edited/proofread but still I think any book can be good and help you up to a certain point.

I think here the intended phrase must have been : صبحِ شما هم بخیر آقای لی
    Because of the "kasre" after sobh : "Sobh-e" شماهم somewhat looks similar to سلام so a careless typist probably got the two confused.

It means Good morning to you too!

6. Daffodil100

Chinese
    Thank you for your help, Aryamp.

I am sorry. It turns out that the careless typist was me.:eek: Probably it was too late and I was kinda tired, and on the other hand I am still new to Persian words, so I misread it.

The words should be: صبحِ شما هم بخیر آقای لی

-Thus, I wonder why Ms. Yang doesn't respond with Salaam and then good morning.

-And you mentioned alow is generally used in phone call converstaion. There is a picture in my book to match the dialogue. It seems that they met each other in the street, but not very close, - I guessed around 2-3 meters between them, but do you think alow is applied to such a circumstance?

- The Persian sentence structure is: noun + subject +adjective? I think صبح بخیر is a fixed phrase, but why do native speakers separate it?

Oh, I assume "you" is used to modify morning right? Literally it means your morning good too. Is it an educated guess?

Thank you.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  7. Aryamp

Aryamp Persimod

Tehran
    Persian
    You're welcome!

I also thought it could be possible that you misread it :D It's understandable of course , it takes time to become dominant at reading Persian.

I think what happens with these language learning books is that at first they publish a English learning book, and then later they expand the project to include other languages as well, they use the same concepts and material, pictures / format etc only that they translate the text to another language and so with minimum expenses they have a similar book for a different language. So obviously here the emphasis is only on language itself and translation of sentences from one language to the other , however the proper usage and cultura points can get lost in this quick transition.

In Iran when people see each other on the street they hardly ever say "صبح بخیر / good morning" to each other without saying "سلام / Hello" at first.

alo /الو is only used on the phone (it comes from french allo) , for example when the phone rings I pick up and say 'alo?' and then I still greet the caller with "salam" because "alo" is not considered a greeting. In english "hello" works both as a greeting and as a call for response.

I can imagine situations in which people might say "alo" other than on the phone, but that's usually done in imitation of a phone call and often in a sarcastic way , as if they're desperate for attention and the other person is deaf.

So no alo is not applied at all in the circumstances you describe , the most natural thing to say in that situation is "salâm" followed by "sobh bekheir"

8. Aryamp

Aryamp Persimod

Tehran
    Persian
    Um sentence structure in persian "normally" is "subject + object + verb "

But if you're talking about noun modifiers, adjectives normally come after the noun.

You're right in your assumption. صبح بخیر is a set phrase ,the verb is omitted from it so you have "noun + adverb"
    the ommited verb is صبح بخیر باشد morning be (subjunctive) well

So if you look at it that way, you can see it's possible to add other elements after صبح (e.g شما / هم) and according to persian sentence structure it's very natural that such elements should come between the noun (sobh)and the adverb (bekheir)

Sobh-e shoma = your morning
    صبحِ شما

هم = too - also

9. Daffodil100

Chinese
    It's very kind of you to help me out with very clear illustraions.

I very appreciate. Have a good one!