1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Persian: if somebody wants to do something...

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by seitt, Dec 4, 2013.

1. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Greetings

Please could you translate the sentence “If somebody wants to do something, he must persevere and not give up easily” and give me the exact Colloquial Persian pronunciation?

All the best, and many thanks,

Simon

PS I only really need the exact pronunciation of ‘if somebody wants..’ – much obliged.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  2. Dib Senior Member

Germany
    Bengali (India)
    Tehrani would be "agar kasi bexād ...", I suppose. Wait for a native speaker though.

3. Treaty Senior Member

Australia
    Persian
    اگه کسی بخواد
    age kasi bexād

4. searcher123

searcher123 Senior Member

My home ;-) /The Persian Gulf
    Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    اگه كسي بخواد كاري رو بكنه/انجام بده، بايد/لازمه‌ش اينه كه پشتكار داشته باشه و فرتي جا نزنه
    Age Kasii Bekhaad Kaarii Ro Bekone/Anjaam Bede, Baayad/Laazemash iine ke Poshtkaar Daashte Bashe va Fertii Jaa Nazane

There are many many other equivalents for this sentence too. I just said one of them.

Edited: It seams I answered at the same time as Treaty

5. sapnachaandni Senior Member

Iran, Tehran
    Persian (فارسی)
    The exact Colloquial Persian pronunciation is:
    1) [a-ge kasi/kesi bexâd] ([a-ge kasi/kesi bekhâd]). The dictation according to this pronunciation: (اگه کسی بخواد)
    2) [a-ge yeki bexâd] ([a-ge yeki bekhâd]). The dictation according to this pronunciation: (اگه یکی بخواد)

according to the formal written Persian:
    "if somebody wants..." = "agar kasi bexâhad" ("agar kasi bekhâhad") (اگر کسی بخواهد)

6. Dib Senior Member

Germany
    Bengali (India)
    Oh right - age, dige, mage... How could I forget that! :(

7. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Many thanks for the very helpful answers.

For ‘if somebody wants’, we have so far the following possibilities:
    اگه كسی بخواد
    اگه یکی بخواد

Can we add a third? My suggestion (based on ‘Colloquial Persian’ by Leyla Moshiri) is this: اگه آدم بخواد

But how exactly will it be pronounced? Perhaps you don't even use اگه before vowels and it has to be اگر?

8. Jervoltage Senior Member

Persian
    Yes, that is a good one.

Simply as age aadam..., اگر could as well be used though.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  9. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Many thanks – when people are speaking quickly, is it possible that the last E of ‘age’ is assimilated to the Ā of ‘ādam’? So does one perhaps more usually hear something like “aga ādam”?

Or does this sort of thing only happen with a...a? (I.e. when a word ending in short 'a' is followed by a word beginning in short 'a'.)

10. Jervoltage Senior Member

Persian
    No, both the e sound in اگه and the aa sound in آدم are distinct in آگه آدم (even when it is uttered quickly.)

11. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Ah, yes, many thanks.

I think that what confused me was so often hearing short E … short A pronounced as “aa” (two short As run together), e.g. in Narguess Farzad’s “Teach Yourself Persian” – on the disc that goes with it, for example, خونه ام is pronounced “khuna-am”; presumably this is a little bit posh as most people I know would say “khunám”.

12. Jervoltage Senior Member

Persian
    You're welcome.

I have never heard anyone say خونه ام. It is either خانه ام (khane-am - with both e and a pronounced distinctly) or خونم (khunam - with no e sound, only a). So to sum up, you have either both e and a sounds or simply one a instead of e and a.

13. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Much obliged!