Persian: Interrogative "Who"

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by BenjaminM, May 10, 2014.

1. BenjaminM New Member

Brazil - RS
    English - England
    Hi,

I am starting Farsi from scratch and am beginning with an approach that was recommended to me which looks to quickly build up conversation with common questions and answers. My first is using the interrogative "who" and I have tried, using books and the internet, to translate the following questions into Farsi. I can read the Arabic script very slowly but find it much easier using the Latin script as my first focus is speaking. Are you able to advise on the below translations? Any extra details are much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Who's teaching you the language? ki zabán dári miámuzi
    Who taught you the language? ki zabán ámukhti
    Who did you learn the language from? ?
    Who is your teacher? Ki shoma málemast

2. ismaximum Junior Member

Australia
    Persian
    Who's teaching you the language? کی (یا چه کسی) به تو زبان می آموزد ki be to zabán miámuzad
    Who taught you the language? کی (یا چه کسی) به تو زبان یاد داد ki be to zabán ámukht (or yad dad)
    Who did you learn the language from? از چه کسی زبان یاد گرفتی؟ az che kasi zaban yaad gerefti (zaban amookhti)?
    Who is your teacher? che kasi moalem-e to hast چه کسی معلم تو است؟

3. Aryamp

Aryamp Persimod

Tehran
    Persian
    Hi

It is very nice that you are trying to learn Persian, I'm not sure about you approach though.

The interrogative pronoun 'who' can be said in two ways in Persian as reflected in the above post: ki کی and che kasi چه کسی

They are almost always interchangeable, although they affect how the sentence sounds and in some situations one might be preferred over the other, but that would be too much information to go into all those details here.

4. colognial Senior Member

Persian
    Hello, BenjaminM, and Happy Speaking Persian!

In Iran and in day-to-day situations, the verb used is almost always yaad gereftan, as aamookhtan is a bit too formal.

Az ki daari zabán yaad migiri?

If you wish to address the person in a way that stresses your respect for them, you may pluralize the verbs into 2nd person plural:

Az ki daarin (daarid) zabán yaad migirin (migirid)?

Note: Daarin and migirin are the colloquial forms of the more formal daarid and migirid, respectively.

Last edited: May 12, 2014
  5. BenjaminM New Member

Brazil - RS
    English - England
    Hi All,

Thank you very much for your help and advice. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Aryamp: I agree that my approach is a little bit unusual. I don't know if I am allowed to mention it and I am no way affiliated with it whatsoever but I wanted to try Moses McCormick’s FLR Method. I have learned a second European language (Portuguese) and have a good understanding of grammar in general so I find most traditional courses really slow and boring. I personally prefer to dive straight into a language working backwards deconstructing the grammar and watching videos, shadowing etc... and asking lots of questions to very kind people in forums :)