Persian: logos cognate

Discussion in 'Etymology, History of languages and Linguistics (EHL)' started by Treaty, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Treaty Senior Member

Australia
    Persian
    Hi,

I read that Greek logos comes from PIE *leg- (~to collect). Is there a Persian (or West Iranian) cognate for it? The only word that I can think of is lagan (~bowel/bowl) but it is unlikely.

Thanks.

2. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    I cannot think of a cognate off hand. But, in the Syriac Bible λόγος is translated by melltā “word”; this Aramaic term is the etymon of Arabic/New Persian milla “religious doctrine”, then “sect”, then (in modern Persian and Turkish) “nation”, while in Middle Persian (Pahlavi) MRYʼ (with R for L) is the Aramaeogram for saxwan (NP. suxan, later saxun) “word”.

3. Treaty Senior Member

Australia
    Persian
    Isn't loghat لغة (Persian لغت) the Arabic version of logos? Doesn't it exist in Aramaic?

4. sotos Senior Member

Greek
    Interesting. If not a coinsidence, this mellta, milla etc could be related to the Gr. n. omilia (talk, speak) and the v. omilo.
    The *leg- of the initial post means not only "collect" but also "talk".

5. hadronic Senior Member

New York
    French - France
    In Semitic, l-gh is a base for roots whose meaning is related to throat / jaw / chew / speak. Ex:
    Heb. לע, Aram.-Syr. lu'a, Akka. lū'u, throat
    Heb. לעע, Ar. walagha, laghā, swallow, talk wildly
    Heb. לעס, Ar. la'asa, chew, bite
    Aram. lista, le'ista, Akka. lētu, jaw
    Heb. לעב, לעג, Syr. and Aram., le'av, le'ag, to stammer, to mock
    Heb. לעז, Syr le'az, Ar. laghaza, speak foreign language
    Heb. לעט, Ar. laghaTa, swallow greedily, jaw, uttered indistinct sounds.

These roots are so widespread in Semitic, that a relation with Greek, and PIE, seems dubious.

6. mojobadshah Senior Member

Sharon Turner's Persian-Anglo-Saxon list shows : Per. leogan "to tell a lie" ​which I believe is a cognate.

7. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    leogan is Anglo-Saxon, not Persian. It is not cognate with Greek logos.