1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Persian: Maya as a female name

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by lcfatima, Jan 4, 2009.

1. lcfatima Senior Member

In a teapot
    English USA
    I am searching for meanings of the female name Maya in Arabic and Farsi. Can you provide various possible meanings based on different Farsi spellings which could be equivalated as Maya in English orthography? Please provide the Farsi spelling for whatever meanings you suggest.

I have a text source which suggests the name in Farsi means

Maya: "Do not come" and "a woman's name"

Maayah: root, principle, wealth, King Faridoon's cow (I don't know who King Faridoon is) ---I am guessing this is a male's name

I suspect the female name may be connected to the word meaning alcohol/intoxicant (as in mai khaaneh), and a reference to spiritual intoxication.

An online Persian baby name site gives the meaning of the name as "flower" but I have no dictionary source to confirm this.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

2. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    English (UK) & Urdu (Luckhnow), Hindi
    Icf, the only Farsi word I know that comes close to this is mayah / mayeh مایہ , means:

1)origin, culture, capital, funds, stock
    2) yeast, ferment, leaven
    3) key, pitch (music)

There is no mention of any flowers or a girl’s name in my dictionary but I suppose we can imagine how no. (1) meaning above could be used as
    a girl's name ! The only Mayas I know are Indian, not Iranian.

[BTW, wine / liquor in Farsi is like written like this
    مَی ]

…and King Faridoon / Faridun is from Firdowsi’s Shahnamah /Shahnameh. If you google Faridoon or Faridun plus Shahnamah or Shahnameh you’ll get several hits. Some very nice paintings from the poem.

3. arsham Senior Member

Canada
    Persian
    the Persian form of the "word" in red, is میا mayā, classical prohibitive form of āmadan (to come)!!

in loghatnaameh
    مایه has the following meanings
    1- essence, substance
    2-ferment, leaven
    3-capital; money
    4-quantity, amount
    5-vaccine (neology; hence مایه کوبی vaccination)
    6-female camel
    7- a form of برمایون/برمایه/مایون a mythical cow that took care of Fereydoon when he was a child

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  4. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    Just to add to this.

In Urdu also we use مایہ as:

مایہ = سر مایہ = capital (money), funds etc

مایہ ناز maya-e-naaz = cause of pride

فُرو مایہ[FONT=&quot] furoo maayah = base / mean

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot].. and I’ve also heard of [/FONT]مایہ زدن[FONT=&quot] = to vaccinate[/FONT] - Farsi, of course.

5. panjabigator

panjabigator Senior Member

غریب الوطن
    Am. English
    And while we're at it, <maayaa> in Hindi refers to the illusory nature of life. Kabir famously rebukes <maayaa> throughout his qalām (English: oeuvre) .

6. cold Junior Member

iran
    Persian
    "maya" as you said is a imperative verb and has nothing to do with mai khaane."mai" is an archaic word for "sharab" meaning wine in English.also,"maayah" with meaning of money is common in informal conversations.

7. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    PG,
    I did have this in mind but didn't bother mentioning it! But tell me is the name Mayavati / Maayaavati in any way connected to <maayaa>? If so, what does it mean?

I do like reading Kabir .. and btw we say kalaam كلام.

8. panjabigator

panjabigator Senior Member

غریب الوطن
    Am. English
    Thanks for the correction! Those qaafs and kaaf always get me!

No clue about Mayavati's name. Maybe her name means "let's erect 5000 useless buildings and let the city go to ruins." Just a thought...

9. lcfatima Senior Member

In a teapot
    English USA
    Moderator: I was actually trying to avoid bringing up the Sanskrit meaning. Perhaps another thread about Maya as in Sanskrit can be made. It has a very rich meaning in Buddhism and Hinduism and even comes up in some famous pop-culture references, so it would be an interesting discussion there.

10. Illuminatus Senior Member

Mumbai, India
    India, Hindi, English, Marathi
  11. Illuminatus Senior Member

Mumbai, India
    Doesn't <mayya> mean water in Arabic?

<Ana aawiz mayya> would mean <I want water>, right?

OR
    <Aawz ashrab mayah> I want to drink water.

12. lcfatima Senior Member

In a teapot
    English USA
    Illuminatis, maa' means water in Standard Arabic, the sentence your produced, along with the pronunciation you gave for water is Egyptian. It sounds like muyya, not maa-yaa. In the Gulf people say mai.

13. Illuminatus Senior Member

Mumbai, India
    Yeah, the Arabic course I've been following teaches Egyptian Arabic.

The course was the best I could get my hands on, but I am having serious doubts about being understood in any other Arabic speaking country, if at all I get to visit them

14. Maya ?! female name ?!! :eek: it's perhaps Mahya محیا

15. darush Senior Member

مایه کوبی: An old term for vaccination.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  16. Also we say تمدن مایا for Maya civilization !
    Wikipedia