1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Persian: Mister

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by seitt, Feb 1, 2013.

1. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Greetings,

How do you say, “Mister” i.e. when you don't know somebody’s name but still want to be reasonably polite?

I'm just wondering – do people say آقای آقا (and even perhaps خانمِ خانم to ladies)? Or have I been mishearing?

Best wishes, and many thanks,

Simon

2. searcher123

searcher123 Senior Member

My home ;-) /The Persian Gulf
    Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    ٓWe will say simply جناب or آقا for men and خانم for women. For example:

مي‌بخشيد جناب/آقا/خانم! مي‌شه بريد كنار من رد بشم؟
    ---------------------------------------------
    خانم/آقا/جناب! مي‌شه اون ليوان آب را بدين به من؟

3. Alfaaz Senior Member

English
    Interesting question! A related question: It seems that most members in Persian threads use آقا / آغا . Would any of the following be used for mister/miss by Persian speakers and in what settings: صاحب / صاحبہ ، محترم /محترمہ ، قبلہ ,جناب ? Also, would it be considered socially awkward or polite to refer to a (somewhat older) stranger (out of respect) as بردار / ہمشیرہ ?

4. searcher123

Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    Between your suggestions just محترم and جناب are common in modern Persian. As I said previously, جناب is used for men and محترم is used in combination with آقاي for men and خانم for women. For example:

آقاي/خانم محترم من به شما گفتم فردا تشريف بياوريد. امروز تعطيل است

I think you mean برادر/همشيره. Am I right? If so, yes it is polite completely. Also you can use خواهر too. For example:

خواهر/برادر من! به شما گفتم فردا تشريف بياوريد. امروز تعطيل است
    همشيره! به شما گفتم فردا تشريف بياوريد. امروز تعطيل است

Albeit همشيره is fairly لاتي and I will not suggest it. Also when you use خواهر or برادر, you will be appeared as a religious person.

5. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Many thanks, excellent.

Btw, in the light of what you say, I think that what I probably heard was something like, "آه... آقا".

6. Alfaaz Senior Member

English
    Thanks for the thread seitt and detailed reply searcher123! (I saw your post above after posting.)
    Yes, that was a typo.
    Interesting...and suppose if the person is ضعیف , could بابا be used? (Example Scenario: an older person trying to cross a busy street and a younger person comes to help...like in movies)

7. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    You are most welcome.

Btw, I think the three of us may have posted at about the same time in this case:D!

8. searcher123

Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    You are welcome.
    بابا is not so common in your scenario, but you can use پدر or پدرجان for an old-man and مادر or مادرجان for an old-woman.

9. darush Senior Member

Not so politely: " Aghayeee..."
    means:" what is your name?"

10. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Much obliged, most useful to know this.