1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Persian: My wife is visiting my aunt.

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by seitt, Jan 15, 2011.

1. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Greetings,

What is the most natural way to say “My wife is visiting my aunt.” in Colloquial Persian?

I think you use ملاقت for hospital visits, but I am talking about a home visit here.

All the best, and many thanks,

Simon

2. searcher123

searcher123 Senior Member

My home ;-) /The Persian Gulf
    Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    زنم/خانمم رفته عمّمو ببينه ﴾Ammamo).

Albeit ملاقات is not a special word for hospital visiting (however, you are right too and it is used normally just for hospital visiting or in hospitals)
    . The reason that ملاقات is used less in normal conversations is because it is very very formal and deferential, so will be used less in colloquial conversations, however, some people will use it too. The only common sentence that is completely common in normal conversations is:

از ملاقات شما خوشوقتم

P.S: ِThere is a question in my mind from many many years a go that I will be very pleased if you answer it, please. When you say 'aunt', in what manner you can understand the meaning of it is عمّه or خاله or زن‌عمو or زن‌دايي?. Or when you say 'uncle', how you can found sayer is talking about عمو or دايي or شوهر خاله or شوهر عمّه?

3. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Many thanks, excellent.

4. searcher123

Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    What about my P.S. Please?

5. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    I answered you by email. In case it still hasn't arrived, here it is again:

You can distinguish in this way:
    عمّه = paternal aunt
    خاله = maternal aunt
    شوهر خاله = maternal aunt's husband
    etc.

But these terms are very rarely used. You'd be more likely to say something like this: "my aunt, I mean my mother's sister", "my uncle, I mean my mother's sister's husband" etc.

Let me know if you need any more help.

6. searcher123

Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    Thank you very much, dear Simon. All clear now. You rescued me of a long time headache. If you know how many years I was wrestling with this question, you will be thunderstruck (از تعجب شاخ در آوردن). God bless you.

P.S: Exactly now, your mail was received too. I think its carrier was a snail :D

7. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Dear Morteza,

You are always more than welcome!

God bless,

Simon