Persian: possessives' pronunciation

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by 涼宮, Mar 9, 2013.

1. 涼宮

涼宮 Senior Member

Sbaeneg/Castellano (Venezuela)
    Hello! :)

I was reading about how to form the possessive and there are two ways to pronounce the possessive endings, either with /e/ or with /a/, ash/esh, aman/eman, atan/etan, etc. When should I say /e/ and when /a/?

Thank you in advance!
  2. Aryamp

Aryamp Persimod

I think it's a matter of dialect, I'm from Iran so I can only speak for the neutral persian spoken in Iran.

ash / esh I think in formal tone we tend to say 'ash' however in informal / colloquial accent people say 'esh'
    (and by formal I mean 'really formal' style found in literature, not just everyday formal as in when you're speaking to a senior person)

Formal : Kârash (his/her work) , darsash (his/her studies) , zamânash (its time) , pulash (his/her money) , donyâyash ** (his/her world) ruyash** (his/her face)

** (in persian two vowels hardly ever are adjacent, so in order to avoid that there's a "y" sound added in between them)
    Colloquial : Kâresh , darsesh , zamânesh, pulesh , donyâsh** , rush**

**(where there's a long vowel at the end in colloquial tone we just omit the 'e' sound from 'esh' )

aman/ eman Umm I think we always pronounce it as 'eman' i can't think of any example off the top of my head where I would say 'aman'

Formal : Kâremân (our work) , darsemân (our studies) , zamânemân (our time) , pulemân(our money) , donyâyemân(our world) ruyemân (our faces)
    Colloquial : Kâremun , darsemun , zamânemun, pulemun , donyâmun , rumun

(in colloquial accent we tend to turn the ending 'ân' sound into 'un')

Same as above for atan/etan :

Formal : Kâretân (your work) , darsetân (your studies) , zamânetân (your time) , puletân(your money) , donyâyetân(your world) ruyetân (your faces)
    Colloquial : Kâretun , darsetun , zamânetun, puletun , donyâtun , rutun
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  3. 涼宮

涼宮 Senior Member

Thank you!, then in the end it'd be: -am, -at, -ash/esh, -eman, -etan, -eshan, right?
  4. Aryamp

Aryamp Persimod

You're welcome!

With second-person it's the same as with ash/esh : we have -at(for formal and litrary style) / -et(colloquial)

One exception I remember now about -eman -etan -eshan is when a word ends in the vowel sound ه as in خانه , خانواده
    in such cases specially in colloquial pronunciation we say : khunamun khunashun khânevâdatun
  5. 涼宮

涼宮 Senior Member

Thank you again. Then, please let me summarize everything and see if nothing's missing.

-at (formal), -et (colloquial)
    -ash(formal), -y-ash, -esh (colloquial)
    -eman, -y-emu, -emun/amun (colloquial)
    -etan, -etun/atun (colloquial)
    -eshan, -ashun (colloquial)

Is that right?
  6. Aryamp

Aryamp Persimod

Yes that's about it :)