1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Persian: pronunciation of "يك"I

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by James Bates, Jan 30, 2013.

1. James Bates Senior Member

English America
    My Persian dictionary gives the pronunciation of يك ("one") as "yak", but I have never heard it pronounced that way. The only pronunciation I've ever heard is "yek". Is "yek" colloquial and "yak" literary? Does "yak" sound awkward in normal conversation?

2. searcher123

searcher123 Senior Member

My home ;-) /The Persian Gulf
    Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    There is not any difference between its pronunciation in colloquial, formal and colloquial. It is pronounced in I.R.IRAN as "Yek" always. Maybe your dictionary is not an Iranian Persian Dictionary, but a Tajik or Afghan Dictionary.

Yes in I.R.IRAN. If you pronounce it as "Yak", I as an Iranian will think you are a foreign person.

3. darush Senior Member

Hi James,
    There are two main Persian accents, Western and Eastern. Western is spoken in the most parts of Iran and Eastern in Afghanistan and Central Asia, which is more closer to classical Persian.

Yak is rather Eastern and yek is standard Western.

(you may come across some confusing pronuciations in dictionariers. I mentioned it few hours ago;
    http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=2569030 post#2)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  4. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    I don't think Solayman Haim was a foreign person. As far as I know he was not an Afghan or a Tajik but was born in Iran, his family originating from Shiraz. His dictionary provides the pronunciation as "yak".

http://dsal.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/philologic/showrest_?conc.6.1.8920.1500.1599.hayyim

I know "Maulana Rumi" was n't born in Iran but here is how "yak" is used in Persian literature.

dast bar nabzash nihaad-o-yak ba-yak
    baaz me-pursiid az jaur-i-falak

xvaajagaan-o-shahr-haa yak ba-yak
    baaz guft az jaay va az naan-o-namak

Can someone produce any poetry where "yek" rhymes with some word ending in "ek"?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  5. searcher123

searcher123 Senior Member

My home ;-) /The Persian Gulf
    Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    Albeit I have حييم paper book and I can see he have mentioned "Yek" is much more common. But it is not important at all, because we are living at the present, not many years ago and at the present, you can not hear "Yak", except from our foreign refugees brothers and sisters.

6. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Sure, it is the present pronunciation that is important. I would suggest that 100% of Iranians do not pronounce "yek" and "shesh" (six) and the like. There are bound to be areas within Iran where the pronunciation is "yak" and "shash".

I am still interested in hearing if a modern poet rhymes falak and namak with yak or yek.

7. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    Poets writing in the classical manner still rhyme yak and falak, in the same way that they avoid rhyming pīr and šēr. That is because they are following classical models.