Persian: rainbow

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by seitt, Jan 28, 2013.

1. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Hi

You seem to have two words for 'rainbow': رنگین کمان، قوس و قزح.

Which is more common? Please give the exact pronunciation of both.

Many thanks,

Simon

2. searcher123

searcher123 Senior Member

My home ;-) /The Persian Gulf
    Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    رنگين كمان (Rangiin Kamaan)

3. rc2 Junior Member

US
    India - Telugu
    A side question: Simon has listed the word in his post as "qaus-o-qazh" -- I have run into people who use "-o-" myself -- but both Platts and Steingass list the word as "qaus-i-qazh" only, with no reference to the "-o-" variant. How do I reconcile this in my mind? Or is "-o-" a wrong pronunciation of the word?

RC

4. Alfaaz Senior Member

English
    This thread might be helpful. According to it and various dictionaries, the correct pronunciation is qaus-e-quzaH. qaus-o-qazaH might be a غلط العام. In Persian, the ق seems to be pronounced like a غ (depending on regions/speakers), so perhaps ghaus-e-ghuzaH...

5. قوس و قزح بیشتر در ادبیات به کار میرود و کاربردی در زبان روزمره ندارد

6. darush Senior Member

In Iran we say:/ghows o ghazah/, Arabic
    /rangiin kamaan/, Farsi

7. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    قوس قزح is the word for ‘rainbow’ in Arabic and in classical Persian. It is a possessive construction, qawsu quzaḥa in Arabic, qaws i quza in Persian.

8. rc2 Junior Member

US
    India - Telugu

Thank you Alfaaz saahib, for the link. The "Ghain" pronunciation apart, am I reading the reply from "ImanAkbari" to say that the "-o-" variant is pedantic and used in literature, but not in the "roz.marrah"? (dar adabeeyaat bah.kaar mee.ravad..)

RC

9. Common language, everyday conversation

10. rc2 Junior Member

US
    India - Telugu
    Thank you Iman -- rozmarrah is a common word used in Urdu also - I was simply wondering if I had translated the first part of your sentence correctly. Much appreciated, and seems like we now have 2 slightly conflicting responses -- with you saying BOTH are correct (one is colloquial, one is pedantic), and the other response saying it is "Ghalat.ul.'aam" to use "-o-".

The common factor here then is that "qaus-i-qazh" is acceptable to both the respondents.
    RC

11. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Many thanks, excellent.

12. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
  13. Treaty Senior Member

Australia
    Persian
    There is also another word آزفنداک [āzfandāk] that is far less used than the other two. It was mainly used in Middle and early New Persian.