1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Persian:rules for translating foreign names or places ?

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by Daffodil100, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Daffodil100

Daffodil100 Senior Member

Chinese
    Hello,

The Chinese authories require to use Pinyin ( phonetic symbols with Latin letters for Chinese language) to translate Chinese names and places into English. i.e. Shanghai is the Pinyin in Chinese language.

I am not sure there's such an official rule required by Chinese Education Department for tranlating Chinese names or places of China into Persian. I assume probably no, because a few people write and read Persian in China as Persian is not taught as widely as English .

In my textbook, Shanghai is translated into شانگهای . Is there any rule to follow in Persian to translate foreign names into Persian?

Shanghai, first a is a short vowel in English, but why is it a long vowel in Persian?

Thank you!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  2. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    You need to realise that nobody speaks Chinese in Iran. So Chinese names will be transcribed as they are (mis)pronounced in English or French. But there is a general tendancy to use ا for English/French "a", regardless of whether it is long or short.

3. Daffodil100

Daffodil100 Senior Member

Chinese
    Thank you for your reply. Then, I can translate Chinese names whatever I like into Persian if the pronounciations are close.