Persian : seyed / syed /sayyid

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by Daffodil100, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Daffodil100

Daffodil100 Senior Member

Chinese
    Hello Everyone,

Quoted from Treaty's remark in another thread.

What does seyed mean? How to spell it in Persian?

Thank you!

Edition: Previously the thread title was asking Treaty to answer it, because Treaty responded it with another thread of mine. But I appreciate anyone for replying to any thread of mine. I changed addressing "Hello Treaty" to "Hello Everyone"

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  2. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    English (UK) & Urdu (Luckhnow), Hindi
    I see that you have specifically addressed this question to Treaty but allow me to butt in since we covered it in some detail here.

The spelling of the word (better transliterated into English as sayyid as per the original Arabic word) is the same for Arabic, Persian, Urdu and other languages using the Arabic script. There is a shaddah / tashdiid on 'ya'.

Hope it helps.

3. Daffodil100

Chinese
    Thank you very much for your help, Faylasoof.

I do welcome any forum member to respond to any thread of mine. Sorry, I inappropriately wrote the title that I ONLY asked Treaty's help, because I quoted Treaty's remark of another thread.

4. Daffodil100

Chinese
    I apologize again for my inappropriate title of this thread, and many thanks to Aflaaz again.

Here's a reply of another forum member named Aflaaz who sent PM to me, about this quetion of mine, because my thread title is about question to Treaty.

Edit: Aflaaz would like me to repost his words as he revised the orginal post a little bit.​

5. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    Most welcome Daffodil!
    I'll change the title! You can of course address anyone in the forum in particular but best not to include that in the title. Within the post is fine.

6. Daffodil100

Chinese
    Thank you very much. I will remove the addressing to Treaty too in my post.

7. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    Yes, this is how we understand as one of the meanings of the word but as I explained in the thread linked above (post#2) the meaning is derived from the Arabic verb to become master etc. In MSA (Modern Standard Arabic) the same word is used to mean "Mr."!

8. Treaty Senior Member

Australia
    Persian
    The original pronunciation and meaning of سید in Arabic is as mentioned by Fayalsoof. However, in [colloquial] Persian it is pronounced "seyyed", "seyed", "sed" or even "sey" while the Arabic pronunciation is sometimes used in formal language. In Iranian Persian سید is only used for descendants of Prophet. However, in Dari, it may also refer to a low rank cleric as well (as far as I know).

9. Daffodil100

Chinese
    Thank you very much for your reply, Treaty.

10. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    While I am well aware of the proper form of this word, it is also widely heard pronounced sayyad/sayyed in Urdu as well, notwithstanding the original pronunciation of sayyid which is also heard. I think the former is also considered acceptable.