Persian: Shahada

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by seitt, Jan 28, 2013.

1. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Greetings,

When somebody becomes a Muslim he pronounces the Shahada (the version I have heard is لَا إِلَّهَ إِلَّا الله مُحَمَّدٌ رَسُولُ الله) – do you call this کلمۀ شهادت in Iran, by any chance?

Furthermore, in Iran, being Shiite, what does this Shahada consist of, please? I.e. what do you actually say? Presumably it's in Arabic, but please could you give me the Persian pronunciation too (and if possible a Persian translation)? Does it have a part which refers to Emam Ali?

Best wishes, and many thanks,

Simon

2. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    The Shia say the shahada in Arabic, in exactly the same wording as the ahl as-sunna, of course.

3. darush Senior Member

Except of و اشهد ان علی ولی الله

4. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    The twelver Shia (but not the Zaydis) use the words اشهد ان عليا ولي الله in the adhan, but I am not sure whether you would count it as part of the shahada or not. One could discuss this.

5. darush Senior Member

It is better to wait for Mrotza(Searcher123) brief replies.

6. eskandar

eskandar Moderator

English (US)
    I have heard it called the شهادتین (Arabic for 'two Shahadas'), though it may have other names as well. It looks like that's what it's called on the Wikipedia article as well, where the Persian translation is given.

The Twelver Shi`i `ulama are mostly in agreement, as far as I can tell, that اشهد ان عليا ولي الله is officially not part of the shahada or the adhan, though people are encouraged to add it if it encourages love for the Ahl al-Bayt. (In religious terms, saying اشهد ان عليا ولي الله is mustaHabb but not waajib). In fact, I have seen it written that if someone recites the shahada (such as during prayer) and adds اشهد ان عليا ولي الله because they believe it is a necessary part of the shahada, then their prayer is invalid (baaTil), but if they recite it purely out of love for `Ali and the Ahl al-Bayt and not out of thinking that it is a necessity (waajib) then there is no problem and this is encouraged (mustaHabb). As far as I know, the same is generally true of all other 'extras' during prayer (for example, qunuut)- they are not required, but are encouraged, though believing that they are required makes the prayer invalid!

While the `ulama may agree on this matter, it is somewhat complicated and obscure and therefore I would think most lay Shi`a (even practicing ones) would be unaware of what I have written above, and therefore recite اشهد ان عليا ولي الله believing it to be waajib, thus invalidating their prayer according to the `ulama!

And, as they said in older times in Iran, God knows best.

Edit: just after posting this, I found another Wikipedia page on the 'third Shahada' where what I wrote seems to be confirmed.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013