1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Persian: The boss of the ostrich farm is coming tomorrow.

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by seitt, Jan 24, 2013.

1. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Greetings,

As I said in my previous question, in the film “آواز گنجشک‌ها”, a man is responsible for losing an ostrich from the ostrich farm he works on.

He is then told, “The boss is coming tomorrow.” (Which no doubt worries him even more.)

But have I misheard or could the word مهندیس have been used for ‘boss’? Is مهندیس Colloquial Persian for مهندس? Given that’s it’s a farm, could this in turn be short for “مهندس کشاورزی”?

How would one say, “The boss of the ostrich farm is coming tomorrow” in Literary Persian, please? Just so I can compare.

Best wishes, and many thanks,

Simon

2. darush Senior Member

engineer:مهندس
    agricultural engineer:مهندسِ کشاورزی
    من فیلم رو بطورِ کامل ندیده ام ، اما فکر می کنم کسی که جمله ی موردِ نظرِ شما را در فیلم می گوید اهلِ افغانستان یا آذربایجانی است که هر دو، "مهندس" را "مهندیس" تلفظ می کنند

به مهندسِ کشاورزی هم به اختصار "مهندس" می گویند

رئیسِ مزرعه ی شترمرغ فردا (دارد)می آید
    رئیس/صاحبِ مرکزِ پرورشِ شترمرغ (دارد) فردا می آید

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  3. SORENNA New Member

Persian
    درود
    مهندس میتواند چنیدن چم داشته باشد
    1- مهندس
    2- دارنده (مالک)
    3- کارگردان (مدیر)

4. searcher123

searcher123 Senior Member

My home ;-) /The Persian Gulf
    Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    As you find it previously, film translations are not exactly as the same as the film conversations. As darush explained nicely, مهندس is different of "boss" in word. But a boss can be a مهندس and it is that at the film. When these two person are talking with each other, they know مهندس is the person who is the farm's boss, because he is the only مهندس of the farm. Translator have translated it as "boss" for more clarity for foreign viewers.

5. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Many thanks to you all for clearing up this complex point.