Persian: The war wasn't between Iran and Iraq but between us

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by seitt, Dec 21, 2012.

1. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Greetings,

I have no way of knowing how accurate a translation this is, but according to the narrator of the programme about Esfahān, a local man says, “The war wasn't between Iran and Iraq but between us (Esfahānis) and Iraq.”

Obviously, he doesn't mean it literally – he just means that Esfahān gave a lot of martyrs. No doubt in other cities which gave a lot of martyrs they say the same thing.

But how might one express this idea in Colloquial Persian, please?

Best wishes, and many thanks,

Simon

2. searcher123

searcher123 Senior Member

My home ;-) /The Persian Gulf
    Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    اين جنگ ايران و عراق نبود؛ جنگ اصفهان و عراق بود

I'm hearing this for first time in my life. I have not saw any body thinking or saying so. Iranians believe each martyr is for all of our country. I thing the person was a person created by BBC or CNN falsely because of western political aims! At least I have not seen such a person to now at all.

3. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Well, well! Thank you very much for that - indeed, it did seem odd to me too at the time. And, yes, it was something the narrator said, not one of the Iranians being interviewed. It was the BBC series "A Taste of Iran". To be fair to the presenter, he did show a lot of sympathy with the families who gave martyrs in the Iraq-Iran War. Perhaps that's why I ended up taking things at face value after my initial doubts.

Sorry about that - I should have been more alert.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  4. searcher123

searcher123 Senior Member

My home ;-) /The Persian Gulf
    Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    No problem at all my dear friend.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2012