Persian: to get away with something

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by seitt, Feb 8, 2013.

1. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Greetings,

Oxford Elementary Learner’s English-Persian dictionary gives “قصر در رفت” (qeṣer dar raftan) as meaning “to get away with something” i.e. to do something wrong but still avoid being punished for it in any way.

Is this correct, please? E.g. is it correct Persian to say, “رفت یه مهمونی غیر شرعی و پاتیل شد اما قصر در رفت.”

Mind you, I must point out that I think the idea of “getting away with it” is a very dangerous one indeed as the “it” is the bad thing you do (and the guilt that comes with it), so from a Christian point of view it makes no sense at all as, even when you avoid punishment from others, the offence and its spiritual consequences are still there with you hurting you – what you need to do is to get away FROM it, or rather get it away from you, and that will involve confession to God and to anyone you may have hurt, and restitution as appropriate.

I say this because imho only a fool will boast, "I got away with it!" Perhaps many people feel the same about the Persian equivalent?

Best wishes, and many thanks,

Simon

2. Jervoltage Senior Member

Persian
    Hi,

Yes, قصر در رفتن is perfect Persian, and so is your sentence.

I'd say you're reading too much into it. In my opinion, nobody means, "I had the divinity fooled!" when they use some such expression in Persian and English alike.

3. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Many thanks - so what does قصر mean exactly? What other contexts is it used in?

4. searcher123

searcher123 Senior Member

My home ;-) /The Persian Gulf
    Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    You are completely correct, so there are other complementary answers for your sentence:

اوّلي: رفت یه مهمونی غیر شرعی و پاتیل شد اما قسر در رفت
    دوّمي: گيرم توي اين دنيا قسر در رفت. اون دنيا را چيكار مي‌كنه؟ آيااز دست خدا هم مي‌تونه قسر در بره؟

-----------------------------------------------
    اوّلي: ديروز از چراغ قرمز رد شدم، پليس نديدم قسر در رفتم جريمه نشدم
    دوّمي: از دست پليس قسر در رفتي، از دست خدا هم مي‌توني قسر در بري؟

5. searcher123

Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    قسر mean كسي كه در قمار، برد و باخت نداشته باشد

6. Jervoltage Senior Member

Persian
    I've seen it spelled both ways, with س or ص.

courtesy of Google:
    قسر در رفتن - about 43,400 results
    قصر در رفتن - about 68,100 results

As for the literal meaning, I haven't the foggiest idea!

7. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Many thanks, dear Morteza, I think we are truly on the same wavelength!

And a big thank you to our dear friend Jervoltage too.

8. Jervoltage Senior Member

Persian
    You're most welcome. :)

9. searcher123

Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    Albeit just in the net. I have not seen قصر in the meaning of قسر in no one of my printed Persian-Persian dictionaries. Surely that is a common typo in the net.

You are welcome my dear friend. That is because all of the divine religions (اديان الهي) are truly on the same wavelength :) Albeit just a good radio can receive the right wave, and you received. ;)