Persian: to hold a reception

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by seitt, Feb 12, 2013.

1. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Greetings,

How do you say "to hold a reception", please?

I remember some Iranian friends were talking about a kind of group they were in. As the meetings of the group finished very late, they were wondering whether or not it was a good idea to serve tea and biscuits at the end of the meetings. For some reason they weren't in a position to serve them before the meetings, perhaps because there was not enough time.

So they decided to vote on whether or not to hold a reception. I specifically remember one of them saying this: “How do you vote on whether or not we hold a reception after the meeting?”

Please, how can I say this in Persian? I think the word for “reception (i.e. tea and biscuits etc.) was “پذیرایی” – is this correct, please?

All the best, and many thanks,

Simon

2. Aryamp

Aryamp Persimod

Tehran
    Persian
    You're right, you could say "pazirâyi kardan / پذیرایی کردن " = to hold a reception in that context.

The word پذیرایی is related to پذیرش = reception and پذیرفتن = to receive / accept

3. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Many thanks - how can we say, “How do you vote on whether or not we hold a reception after the meeting?”, please?

4. Aryamp

Aryamp Persimod

Tehran
    Persian
    چطور میشود رای گیری کرد که آیا پس از جلسه پذیرایی کنیم یا نه؟
    chetor mishavad raíy giri kard ke âyâ pas az jalase pazirâyi konim yâ na?

:)

5. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Thank you so much - sorry about my lack of clarity, but by "how do you vote" I mean, "What is your personal vote on this matter?" i.e., "Are you for or against?"

6. searcher123

searcher123 Senior Member

My home ;-) /The Persian Gulf
    Farsi/Persian/فارسي

نظرت چيه بعد جلسه پذيرايي كنيم؟
    به نظرت بعد جلسه پذيرايي كنيم؟
    موافقي بعد جلسه پذيرايي كنيم؟
    بعد جلسه پذيرايي كنيم يا نه؟
    and so on

7. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Ah, many thanks, I'm sure that what I heard was along these lines.