Persian: to walk under incense

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by seitt, Jul 15, 2011.

1. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Greetings,

How do you say ‘to walk under incense’?

This happened on the Iran TV serial when a husband and his wife arrived home (they lived with the husband’s parents) with their new daughter.

A pot of burning incense was held up and the three of them passed under it.

It was very reminiscent of a scene I had previously watched when a boy had passed under a Qur’ān on leaving home. But, since a Qur’ān was not involved here, I appreciate that it may not be an Islamic custom.

Best wishes, and many thanks,

Simon

2. searcher123

searcher123 Senior Member

My home ;-) /The Persian Gulf
    Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    Burning incense is not common in our culture. Yes, some times we will use it for perfuming environment, but is not used for any cultural ceremony.

I think you are wrong and that was not a pot of burning incense. Maybe that was a fire pan with some molten coal that is used for اسپند دود كردن. Also I don't think any body was passed under it. I can guess tow situation for it:

1. If the fire pan was on a tray, surely there was a small Quran aside of it too. So the persons were passed under it.

2. Maybe the fire pan had been turned around the person's head to
    approache the smoke of اسپند on him/her, and you thought he passed under the fire pan.

3. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Many thanks - I'm sure you're right as it all happened so quickly; it would have been very easy for me to make a mistake.

I think it was probably your number 2 scenario.

Ah, just a thought - do you not consider اسپند to be a kind of incense? I'm sure you will be right as far as Persian is concerned, but 'incense' is used very generally in English: please go to this page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmal and look at the words under the fourth picture from the top on the right.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  4. searcher123

Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    Oh yes. Thank to the useful information.

When I read your previous question, I thought your mean of "burning incense" is عود that is a common perfuming in India and Pakistan (I though "burning incense" is a specific name for عود, not a common name for any type of incense that will sent out an odour after heating!).

As you told, Hermal is a burning incense for many of us too: albeit except of me :); I hate its smell!

5. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Thank you so much - what do you call the fire pan in the link, please?

6. searcher123

Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    You are welcome.
    It is منقل كباب
    (manghal). Smaller fire pans that have a circular shape and are used just for incense burning are called just منقل.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  7. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Many thanks, God bless.