1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Persian: to wave a can of smoking fragrance at somebody

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by seitt, Feb 11, 2013.

1. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Greetings,

In the film “آواز گنجشکها”, as Karim is on his motorbike, a little girl comes up to him with a tin can on a piece of string which she is waving about. Presumably the smoke billowing from it smells nice, as when she waves it towards people, they give her money.

How can we express this in Persian, please? I.e. how can we say, “The little girl wave a can of fragrance at him”?

Here is a link for the film:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgusMAA8Ff4
    The scene is just over 103 minutes into the film.

Best wishes, and many thanks,

Simon

2. searcher123

searcher123 Senior Member

My home ;-) /The Persian Gulf
    Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    It is اسپند that we talked about it here and here.

The little girl wave a can of fragrance at him
    دخترك، دود اسپند كه از قوطي بيرون مي‌آمد را جلوي صورتش تكان داد

or simply

دخترك، دود اسپند قوطي را جلوي صورتش تكان داد

3. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Thank you so much, indeed most helpful - I could only see the smoke and the can, not the substance inside it.

Have I understood the situation correctly? Do people pay for the nice smell, or because it's healthy? Does this fragrance-waving happen very frequently? Do the police ever try to stop it, perhaps seeing it as a fire hazard or something?

4. searcher123

searcher123 Senior Member

My home ;-) /The Persian Gulf
    Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    I can not remember the scene, but you described it very nicely. I'm sure you understood the situation correctly.

The main reason of paying is because normally (not always) the person that is burning اسپند is poor. The paying is for helping to them.

Not very frequently, but you can see one or two.

There is not any danger of a fire hazard, because اسپند will be smoked by molten coals, not a fire. Albeit police sometimes will stop them, because this is not a real work, just a beg.

5. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Thank you so much, a fascinating glimpse into a most interesting phenomenon.