1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Persian: unreasonable

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by seitt, Dec 17, 2012.

1. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Greetings,

What is the most common way to say ‘unreasonable’ in Colloquial Persian?

By this I mean somebody who it is very hard to get on with as he is always saying or doing unpleasant things. "Hard to get on with" is also used.

For instance, an man who insists on keeping a pet dog in the house even though his wife has a severe allergy to dogs could be said to be unreasonable.

Someone who is very unreasonable is said to be ‘impossible’, by the way – do you have an equivalent of this, please?

Best wishes, and many thanks,

Simon

2. searcher123

searcher123 Senior Member

My home ;-) /The Persian Gulf
    Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    What is the most common way to say ‘unreasonable’ in Colloquial Persian?
    غيرمنطقي
    نامعقول
    غيرعاقلانه

In your meaning:
    غير قابل تحمّل
    بي‌شعور

3. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Thank you so much - ah, I've just found this in an old Turkish-Persian dictionary: ناسازگار. Does that have the same meaning?

4. searcher123

Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    ناسازگار means: 1. incompatible 2.unwholesome 3.unsuitable

5. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Ah, thank you - can you say of somebody that he is ناسازگار in general, or do you have to say with whom he is ناسازگار?

6. searcher123

Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    Yes, you can. For example:

بچه‌ي ناسازگاريه
    منيژه كلّاٌ زن ناسازگاريه

You can use ناسازگار for objects too. For example:
    اين لباس با شلوارم ناسازگاره = اين لباس با شلوارم سازگار نيست = اين لباس به شلوارم نمياد

7. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Thank you so very much.

Just to make sure that there is no misunderstanding here, could you perhaps give some examples (in Persian or English or both) of the kind of behaviour exhibited by منيژه which leads people to conclude that she is ناسازگار and to make the statement منيژه كلّاٌ زن ناسازگاريه?

The reason I ask is that I suspect (but only suspect at this stage) that several dictionaries have got it wrong again.

8. searcher123

Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    Well, she is in an opposite way always. When her parent ask him to eat, she will not eat. When her parent ask him to don't eat, she will eat. When her child ask him to come to his school, she will not come. When her child ask him to don't come to his school, she will come. When her neighbor ask him help, she will not help. And so on. In general, she is a real head strong.

9. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Ah, yes, many thanks. Indeed, one might well say that such a girl is "impossible" in English.