Persian, Urdu, Hindi: processed (foods)

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by Alfaaz, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Alfaaz Senior Member

English
    Background:

Example: Processed foods have been altered from their natural state, either for safety reasons or for convenience. The methods used include canning, freezing, refrigeration, dehydration and aseptic processing.

Process: treated or made by a special process especially when involving synthesis or artificial modification

Question: What word or phrase could be used for "processed" in this context?

2. Treaty Senior Member

Australia
    Persian
    In Persian:

To process (food): فرآوردن farāvardan
    processed : فرآوری شده farāvari shodeh

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  3. marrish

marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    Treaty, if I may, can you shed some more light on this verb? What does this ''processing'' include and in which kind of context it can be used?

4. Treaty Senior Member

Australia
    Persian
    The verb فرآوردن or فرآوری کردن and the p.p. فرآورده are used in nearly all contexts where a crude natural product is processed into a usable product, especially by an industrial process. It can be the process of making processed meat (sausages, jambons, burgers), oils and dairies. It is also used for (petro)chemical products and sometimes processing soil. Normally, the crude product and the processed one are very different in appearance.

ّFor example:
    برای فرآوردن ارده، دانه های کنجد را آسیاب می کنند : for producing tahini, they grind sesame seeds
    کره یک فرآورده لبنی است : butter is a dairy product
    پنیر شیر فرآوری شده است : cheese is processed milk
    برای تولید پلاستیک، نفت خام را فرآوری می کنند for producing plastic, they process crude oil

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  5. marrish

marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    It is a great explanation for which I'm grateful. You have gone to the lengths of providing details which clear out all hesitations and doubts. The reason why I asked for it is that I wasn't familiar with this verb in Persian and secondly, I've been still thinking about the way to convey it in Urdu!

6. Treaty Senior Member

Australia
    Persian
    You're welcome. This verb was promoted by Academy of Persian Language and Literature. It is not probably older than 50 years. In addition the correct spelling is فرآوردن (with آ not ا).

7. Qureshpor Senior Member

Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    For Urdu, I wonder if the simple "3amal-shudah" would do. (3amal hu'aa hu'aa:))

8. marrish

marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    Simplicity is often key to a successful translation, QP SaaHib and I second your suggestion. 3amal-shudah Ghizaa - vuh Ghizaa jis par 3amal kiyaa gayaa hai.

9. Alfaaz Senior Member

English
    Thanks for the detailed answers!
    Interesting suggestion, but potentially ذومعنی! Couldn't people associate this with: عمل: 13. {سفلی} جادو منتر، افسوں، ٹونا (ورد یا وظیفے کے بالمقابل)۔ (That seems to be the intended meaning when a'mal shudah is used in shows, dramas, etc.)

10. Qureshpor Senior Member

^ That would be "possessed" and not "processed"!:)

11. marrish

marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    ^:D

Alfaaz SaaHib, yes, in theory it can be associated with these things but the chance is nearly zero! This is the thirteenth meaning and of course the context will bar such a possibility. The probability of taking the meaning as you suggested can be compared with one translating ''processed foods'' as مقدمہ شدہ غذا muqaddimah shudah Ghizaa - also possible but not probable, isn't it?

12. marrish

marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    Someone suggested to me a non-literal equivalent, or at least partial equivalent for this idea: بازاری غذا baazaarii Ghizaa.

13. Alfaaz Senior Member

English
    That's a good idea as it is often used in this manner (baazaari masaale vs. ghar par banaa'e hue), but it seems بازاری غذا could be used generally for anything that is not homemade, even when it isn't actually prepared from processed foods.

14. marrish

marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    ^Yes, I agree that it is not precisely the same but I'm sure it can be used in many situations - not specifically - to mean ''processed foods'', like ready-made, packed meals and so on.

15. darush Senior Member

16. Alfaaz Senior Member

English
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions (and for the detailed link, darush)!

17. darush Senior Member

You are welcome:).

18. tonyspeed Senior Member

JA- English & Creole
    Hindi: परिष्कृत

Examples:
    इसलिए सफेद चावल और परिष्कृत आटे से बनी रोटी जैसे खाद्य पदार्थ बहुत कम मात्रा में खाया जाना चाहिए
    परिष्कृत आटा
    परिष्कृत चीनी

19. Qureshpor Senior Member

^ Could you please provide a transliteration for those unfamiliar with Devanagri.

20. tonyspeed Senior Member

JA- English & Creole