Persian, Urdu, Hindi: scandal, scandalized, scandalous

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by Alfaaz, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Alfaaz Senior Member

English
    Background: sample sentences:

She/He is always surrounded by scandals!

Their relationship is being scandalized just to garner more interest for the movie.

It was considered very scandalous at that time, but now seems to be viewed as completely normal.

Question: What words would be used or considered appropriate for scandal, scandalized, and scandalous (as used in the example sentences)?

2. searcher123

searcher123 Senior Member

My home ;-) /The Persian Gulf
    Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    In Persian (the red parts are my suggestions for your examples):
    Scandal = 1. رسوايي 2. شايعه
    Scandalize = بي‌احترامي كردن، اهانت كردن =>
    Scandalized = مورد اهانت قرار گرفته
    Scandalous = 1.ننگ‌آور 2. رسواكننده 3.شايعه پرداز، بدگو

3. Faylasoof Senior Member

Plato's Republic
    English (UK) & Urdu (Luckhnow), Hindi
    In Urdu:
    scandal = فضیحت faDhiiHat / اہانت ihaanat / ننگ nang / توہین tauhiin / تذلیل taZliil / رسوائی ruswaa'ii / تہمت tuhmat / هتك hatk / تہتك tahattuk / افترا iftiraa / ريب raib etc.
    scandalous = رسواکن ruswaa kun / شرمناک sharm naak / اہانَت آميز ihaanat aamez / تہمت آمیز tuhmat aamez / ذِلَّت آميز Zillat aamez etc. etc.

As far as I know شایعہ shaaya3ah is not commonly used in Urdu but I see no reason why it couldn't be employed.

4. bobodenkirk Banned

India
    India - Hindi & English
    In hindi

SCANDAL<===> कलंकपूर्ण कृत्य
    SCANDALIZE<===> संक्षुब्ध करना
    SCANDALOUSLY<===> शर्मनक ढंग से

These are the meaning of those three words in hindi.

5. Alfaaz Senior Member

English
    Thanks to everyone for the comprehensive answers!

searcher123 and Faylasoof SaaHibaan: Do you think اکاذیب -akaazeeb could be used in cases where the scandals are not overly رسوا کن , اہانَت آميز (movie example above)...or perhaps that would be more like rumors?

6. Wolverine9 Senior Member

American English
    Shouldn't this be sharm-naak शर्मनाक instead of शर्मनक as Faylasoof illustrated in his example above?

7. colognial Senior Member

Persian
    رسوا Rosva

مفتضح moftazah

بی آبرو bi Aaberu

all mean scandalour

رسوایی rosvaaee

افتضاح eftezaah

آبروریزی Aberurizi

غائله Ghaa-eleh

stand for scandal.

8. searcher123

Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    اكاذيب mean "false rumors that there is no doubt they are false". شايعه mean "rumors that we don't know are false or true: maybe they are false, maybe not". My understanding of "scandal" was شايعه to now, but you are a native English man and surely clarifying of the real meaning of the word is your power. Can I ask you tell us about the real meaning much more, please?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  9. marrish

marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    I join searcher123 in his request for explanation and in the meantime I can say that when dealing with languages, it is not always obvious or possible to have an exact match, especially when dealing with derivative forms like adjectives and so on. Keep it in mind.

10. Alfaaz Senior Member

English
    This is a good question searcher123 and I shall try to answer it with my limited knowledge of languages (in comparison to other forum members)! I will also make a thread in the English forum.

• A rumor (افواہ) may turn out to be true, false and/or partially true. It usually refers to an unverified report, statement, etc.
    • Misinformation (غلط اطلاعات و معلومات) usually refers to information that is false, but unintentionally disseminated.
      • On the other hand, disinformation (گمراہ کن/تلبیسِ اطلاعات و معلومات) would be deliberately spreading false information.
    Scandal deals with events or actions that would generally be deemed immoral by society upon revelation/public disclosure. In this sense, it seems to be based on (some sort of) evidence/truth, despite the fact that there might be conflicting claims and opinions involved. Therefore, akaazeeb (false news, rumors, etc.) probably couldn't work here.
    • The entry listed under the Thesaurus section (disgraceful gossip about the private lives of other people) is the one that I had in mind when asking about اکاذیب-akaazeeb and the movie example--propagating rumors with the intention of gaining publicity or defaming someone (in this case, slander could be used).
    So it seems that the questions (as you have asked above) are whether or not scandal can be used for gossip/information that is completely false...does it have to be based on truth...can it be used interchangeably with rumor and gossip in some cases...!?

English forum thread: Edit: After the thread has been recreated in the English forum, a link shall hopefully be posted in this thread!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  11. searcher123

Farsi/Persian/فارسي
    Thak you so much dear Alfaaz