Persian : Water آبا

Discussion in 'Indo-Iranian Languages' started by Daffodil100, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Daffodil100

Daffodil100 Senior Member

Chinese
    Hi,

Does آبا also have the connotation of water-آب as آبان -the month means water ?

Does water mean prosperous being the root of آباد ?I guess آبان is a month for havest soآبا means prosperous.

Prosperous (water آب)+year سال= Spring آبسال

Correct?

Thank you!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  2. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    I am not aware of a Persian word aabaa. If you were so kind to provide a context, like a sentence from which it could be seen how it was used, it will be great.

aabaad on its turn does not connect with water at all. It means 'inhabited' and it is not connected in any etymological way with water, aab. It is obvious that human (and animal) settlements need water to survive, but there is no linguistic link between the two of them.

I can't say anything about the name of the month.

3. Daffodil100

Chinese
    Thank you for your reply. Sorry, I don't have context, as I am looking up a Persian dictionary.

4. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    It's alright. Maybe you can share the entry from the dictionary where you read aabaa. I love to read dictonaries before sleeping!

5. Daffodil100

Chinese
    It is a Chinese -Persian Dictionary, which is not available online. Sorry.

6. marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    Of course you can re-type the contents, especially the meaning. I have also many books that I read and type the appropriate passages. I think aabaa is an adjective made from aab. But I don't know anything about Chinese.

7. Treaty Senior Member

Australia
    Persian
    آبا (or آباء) means [fore]fathers. It is Arabic (from اب = father), unrelated to آب.
    آب does not mean "prosperous"; however, for a dry place like Iran access to "water" is related to life and prosperity.
    I'm not sure about the namesake of آبان but I guess it is related to precipitation.
    I'm not sure if آبسال means spring at all. It seems to mean "garden".

8. Daffodil100

Chinese
    Thank you for your help, Treaty.

I had thought آبان was derived from ab water. Here's the quote from an online source.

http://www.iranchamber.com/calendar/articles/iranian_months.php

My Chinese-Persian Dictionary doesn't seems reliable.

9. qrosh New Member

in Persian mythology (Zoroastrian calendar) آبان is a Water Angel.... ok?
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persian_mythology

complete Persian poems in Qrosh site ::: qrosh.com/pe

10. Wolverine9 Senior Member

American English
    آبان is the plural of آب "water." The آبان are goddesses/angels in Zoroastrian tradition and a month is named after them.

11. Daffodil100

Chinese
    Good point. Thank you!:thumbsup: